Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2004, 11:06 PM

Default Re: B&M Report (Harrah\'s)

[ QUOTE ]
Or today when I flopped a set in a preflop raised pot in last position. We went 4 bets 3 ways on the flop, and the turn. I had to release on the river as I knew the initial preflop raiser had made a nut flush...

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't have been right. Could you post this hand?
Old 10-04-2004, 01:19 AM

simply put I'm on button with pocket 4's. 3 Limpers, 1 raiser I call BB calls all limpers.

Flop: 245.(1 diamond 2 hearts).all check to raiser he bets I raise, BB raises, raiser calls I cap.

turn: 10d ...BB bets, call, I raise, BB 3 bets, I cap. (notice back door diamonds now)

River: Qd (completes diamond possible flush) BB checks, raiser suddenly awakes and bets, I reluctantly call, BB raises, preflop raiser 3 bets, I muck...very easy with this player.

BB shows J5o for a pair of 5's, preflop raiser shows AdKd for nut flush.

simple laydown that happens occasionally. But I love the fabulous play by the BB. Not unusual to see at all online.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:22 AM

If I gave the impression that 2-4, 3-6 was tough online I dont know where that came from. I in fact said internet is full of the lowest quality play en masse, that I have ever seen. Yet I also play B&M 3-7 days a week, anywhere from 4-8 to 20-40. And have been for the last 7 years.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:25 AM

I don't know much and I don't have a statisically valid sample but I see a lot of Internet players come in to the B&M and leave a little lighter than they arrived.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:49 AM

Most do from what I have seen. They get very rude awakenings for the most part. But a little humility can make a much better player afterwards.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much and I don't have a statisically valid sample but I see a lot of Internet players come in to the B&M and leave a little lighter than they arrived.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only have about 20k hands online so far and have never played at a B&M (Atlanta sucks for that kind of thing). That said, why do you feel the above is true? I would like to think that if you are a decent online player, you could go to a B&M where the 'crazy people play' (lower limits) and still do fairly well. There would be a greater degree of variance because you may get sucked out more, and because you play fewer hands than online, but overall a profit will eventually be shown.

Definitely not knocking your theory, I just want to be prepared should Harrah's in Cherokee open up a card room.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:27 PM

the play in b&m games as compared to online can be characterized as this. the same old sh@#. if the game is the same in structure and barring any outside factors then the play will be relatively the same.

the cards come quicker online so the opportunity for bad plays will seem greater and the opportunity for good hands seem greater because more hands are played.

in b&m games the bad plays are magnified because they are physically seen and it takes longer to forget or move on from a bad beat because the hands don't come as often.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:33 PM

After playing online for about a year, working my way up from .25/.50 to 5/10 and just playing my first B$M a few weeks ago (Mirage 3/6) I'd have to say players at the same limit are much worse live.
People who have no clue will play the lowest limit available. Online that means .01 or .25 or even play chips. Most that have worked their way up to 3/6 online have had some experience and are better players than the inexperienced or just plain bad players that jump in to 3/6 live because that is the lowest available. There are some exceptions such as players online trying to work off a bonus quickly,but they lose fast and don't always come back. Just my opinion.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:32 PM

I don't know why but I play online and B&M and they don't play the same. I haven't thought about the differences enough to give you a well thought out reason.

Maybe the Internet players fail to bring their "A" game to the B&M. Maybe they get bored because the action is slower, I don't know. There are smarter people than I on this forum and maybe they will jump in and explain it to us both.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:46 AM

Played at Harrahs LV tonite...very loose/weak....6-7 to a flop....very fun and nice room...all closed in away from the noise and excellent bar service. 4-8 was similar to .50-$1 on pokerstars...and no I didnt win much in 5 hours but did get very drunk [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]