Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2004, 06:59 PM

Default Ultimate Bet - Bet pot button

Are the games at that site more profitable beacause everyone considers it the norm to just bet the pot??

Seems like the pots might be bigger because of it.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Ultimate Bet - Bet pot button

I would say no. In general, UB players are more tight-passive than those at Party (as well as PS and Paradise, from what I read here), so the pot bets are to be respected a little more. Of course, at the lower limits, you'll still have lots of fish playing just about any two cards, but I think, in general, you have to respect bets like that at UB.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:13 PM

I've thought about this a bit in the past as well due to UB being the easiest site for me to use while playing at work (due to miniview). There are a lot of bad players who seem to only either "bet min" or "bet pot" so they give away a tremendous amount of information about their hand to anybody paying attention to that sort of thing. However, I think you see significantly less pot overbetting on UB than on the other sites as well so I don't believe that UB is a more profitable place to play for that reason.

Overall, I have found the play even at the low limits (other than the .01/.02 game) to be superior on UB compared to Party or Stars so the slighly larger pots you might see (and I'm not altogether convinced that, over time, the pots will be larger because there is more overbetting the pot as well as underbetting the pot on other sites) will be offset by the slightly higher caliber of play there.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:49 PM

The bet pot button is a gift and a curse! The button actually (IMO) makes the games harder. It gives the weak players an easy button to push and does not give you a chance to draw to a hand. This is very evident in the PL games and the NL ones as well.

I play mostly at UB, but when I have played at PS, the games have been a lot easier to beat, but I hate the look and feel of the screens. Hence I play at UB most of the time.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Ultimate Bet- Sit and Gos

As long as there was UB talk, I am wondering do all UB low buy in sit and gos take 2-3 hours to finish.

I have only played 2 of these tournaments. In the last one, 1 1/2 hours in there were still 8 players at the table. I ended up going all-in with 7 2 offsuit because I couldn't take it anymore
Old 10-04-2004, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Ultimate Bet- Sit and Gos

Rarely do UB sit-n-gos go much over 1 1/2 hours. I can guarantee that no sit-n-go has ever gone to 3 hours.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:15 PM

I play exclusively on UB at mid-level NL games...

The Bet Pot button is my friend. I've found the play here to be rather weak/tight...anytime someone mini-bets a flop, I'll bet the pot if i have a piece of it...I'll take it down most of the time. I tend to play classic Doyle: steal lots of litle pots by almost always betting a flop that's checked to me or stealing blinds, etc. Then, I have the chips to bet strongly when I do have a hand. I never bet less than the pot on the flop...and usually on the turn, as well.

The folding equity of betting the pot on UB is defintely worthwhile.

The only problem I've run into is getting out of practice figuring out my pot odds in B&M games, as there's no "bet the pot" there!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:30 AM

I've been in UB SnG's where only 4 players are left with the blinds still at 10/20 (I LOVE this situation, deep stacks allow for more skillful play) and SnG's where 7 players are left with the blinds at 150/300. You never know.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:42 AM

Maybe I am just sitting in strange games.

I just finished a sit and go at UB. The player to my left didn't play a hand once it got down to 6 players. And the player to his left play jsut slightly more hands than that. It worked out well for me because I stole their blinds for 45 straight minutes without once getting re-raised.

Once it got down to 3 of us, the guy to my left went all in with nothing took his $10 bucks and went home.

It is frustrating because I am playing at UB for the bonus, but I usually play limit. I only play sit and gos for fun at the end of a long session of grinding. But the tournaments seem to be more of a grind for less money.

Oh well, I'm not complaining. I was just wondering if others had similar experiences there.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:25 AM

the UB 100, 200 games are filled with a wide veriety of players, leaning towards the passive side, though not utterly ridiculous like the party players.