Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Is Chris Brown Really Wrong? Or do we have a jaded perspective?

Chris -

I couldn't agree with you more with respect to simply getting up and leaving. Particularly when considering you never know who you are going to ask outside! (you may not live to learn that lesson).

And you are correct, it isn't smart. This however is part of my point. Those who have a deeper and greater perspective of life can understand and control themselves in these situations.

Some however, are not as intelligent or may lack the couth that is required to maintain one's composure. Other's may be completely oblivious to any other potential solution to a problem than that of fighting. Because the majority of the respondents on this site are of a greater intellect (and therefore would not be quick to resort to physical violence) I was trying to assert an insight into why and how somebody would react that way.

I was further trying to encourage people to refrain from making such a value judgement, that Erostratus or any person reacting that way is "wrong" so to speak. For many, that is all they know. And until they know different, they may be misguided, but not necessarily WRONG.

Utlimately though, I agree with your points Chris. They are very well stated and well received.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 12:25 AM

One point that has been obscured is that fighting can have extremely serious consequences. There are hundreds of people in penitentiaries and a few on death row because they had to prove their manliness.

And they WON their fights. The losers may be crippled or even dead.

Al
Old 10-01-2004, 01:47 AM

Hi Al,

Both Kopefire and I talked about this at some length in other posts. As I tell my kids, "If it's not worth killing or dying for, it's not worth fighting about."

There are a tiny handful of situations where I would resort to violence, and if I did, I wouldn't be trying to "beat up" the other person. I'd be trying to KILL them, and I'd be willing to die in that attempt. I am quite certain that if I did kill someone in such a situation, regardless of the legal consequences, that death would weigh heavily on my conscience for the rest of my life. It's certainly not a situation I'm going to volunteer for.

Cris
Old 10-01-2004, 01:58 AM

hippies piss me off...
Old 10-01-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Who Is More Of A Man?

To answer your original question....I am. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 11-01-2004, 10:07 PM

I've played both roles. Depends on my mood.

I much prefer him to shut up by me taking his chips.

But, Theres been times I've actually got up and dragged the guy outside as well. Well, either way they shut up. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2004, 12:45 AM

AL,

I read your article on "anger management" in CardPlayer that referenced this post. Then I read most of this post. Great Article! Strange and funny post. Where I play live poker (SF Bay Area) they do not tolerate players that get out of line. Security will remove them. Once in awhile I see a fist fly, but not often. Anger is a problem for many poker players. I have been insulted for getting lucky by some rather large individuals. I am 60 years old and past my fighting years. I ignore them. But, at the same time, I do not laugh at them. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 06:42 PM

Erostratus.....YOU MADE CARDPLAYER MAGAZINE!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 07:01 PM

What article are you referring to?

PP
Old 11-08-2004, 07:08 PM

Al Schoonmaker's Article

[ QUOTE ]
Machismo: The tendency to personalize conflicts is particularly strong for macho men (and a few women). The psychology forum at twoplustwo.com has had two extremely long series of posts about whether "real men" should beat up people who suckout and then needle them. Such a childish overreaction indicates how serious the anger management problem can be.

[/ QUOTE ]