Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Class Action - The World v. Empire

In New York State, participation as a player on online gambling sites in legal. Many of the statutes you cite are not applicable because the gambling takes place on the server which is not located in the State, so your state has no jurisdiction. Only Nevada and NJ have specific statutes banning participation in online gambling.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:37 PM

Lets go back in time to Monday and if we all knew the $500 bonus was going to be revoked and you would be given $50 and a bonus code for another $100 everyone here would say thanks but no thanks and close out their Empire accounts permanently... Right?

Wrong we would have all deposited $1000 so we could have a free $100 and a bonus code for an additional $100!

Greed is eternal.

I am not a lawyer... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, the way this whole thing went down, your analogy is still way off.

What this really is like is your neighbor tells some new kid in the neighborhood that he'll pay $100 for him to mow his lawn. You happen to overhear this, and decide to mow the lawn yourself. Then the neighbor sees you (and hundreds of others) all mowing his lawn, and says "hey, that offer wasn't meant for you".

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Well, as long as we're nitpicking the analogy here...

Your neighbor offers the new kid $100 to rake the lawn, you overhear, so you go to the neighbor's house and say you want to rake his lawn for $100. You neighbor then specifically says "OK, you can rake my lawn and I will pay you $100 for it." Then, after specifically telling YOU he would pay you to rake his lawn and you have already begun work, he says "I'm sorry, I thought you were somebody else, I'm not paying you." The kid's response would probably be "I don't care who you thought I was, you said you would pay ME, and this screwup is all your fault." The guy at least owes the kid for the work he completed to that point, and should allow the kid to finish the job as a jesture of good will (especially if the kid is a paying customer, however that would be analogous).

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a little bit better analogy for you:
Your neighbor tells some new kid in the neighborhood that he'll pay $100 for him to mow his lawn. You happen to overhear this, and go to your neighbors house to see if you can mow his lawn. On the door is a note that says "as agreed, I will pay you $100 when you are done mowing the lawn". You decide the note was meant for you and mow the lawn yourself. When the neighbor arrives home he sees you mowing the lawn and says "hey, that not was not meant for you, quit mowing my lawn". You decide that since you found the note you should sue the guy for not paying you to mow his lawn.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:19 PM

The neighbour also gets $1 for every strip of lawn mowed, and ends up making a few hundred thousand $$$ out of it.

He comes around the next day and says "Tell you what, you can mow my lawn for $100" and expects me to think this is great, despite the fact that I had already mowed 40% of his lawn and he had made good money out of me doing it.

Edit: The only thing that annoys me is that this will encourage other people to leave notes on their door saying "Mow my lawn for $100" so they can scam people too.

Lori
Old 09-30-2004, 11:03 PM

Mike,

As I think you are a rep for party poker please reply with a response to my post. I see three major problems with your analogy:

1) the note was not on my nieghbors door it was in my mailbox

2) the note was addressed with my name that is impossible to duplicate (the software will only allow one Catfish4U2)

3) the neighbor placed the money in my bank account that only he and I could access

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Catfish4U2,

You have been awarded a bonus amount of $500 and the money has been added into your Bonus account. All you need to do now is to play 2500 raked hands and the bonus amount will be released to your Real money account.

The bonus offer expires on 28-OCT-04 EST. Hence, you have to play these hands by 28-OCT-04 EST. If the above conditions are not met, your bonus will expire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2004, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike,

As I think you are a rep for party poker please reply with a response to my post. I see three major problems with your analogy:

2) the note was addressed with my name that is impossible to duplicate (the software will only allow one Catfish4U2)

3) the neighbor placed the money in my bank account that only he and I could access

[/ QUOTE ]

Like all of the other retards who work for party/empire, he cannot give a relevant reponse to a question.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mike,

[/ QUOTE ]

Like all of the other retards who work for party/empire, he cannot give a relevant reponse to a question.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's unfortunate that Party dosn't have the wherewithall to hire someone with a high intellectual capacity such as yourself. This, of course is based on your highly informative and intuitive input to the poker community via this forum.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike,

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Catfish4U2,

You have been awarded a bonus amount of $500 and the money has been added into your Bonus account. All you need to do now is to play 2500 raked hands and the bonus amount will be released to your Real money account.

The bonus offer expires on 28-OCT-04 EST. Hence, you have to play these hands by 28-OCT-04 EST. If the above conditions are not met, your bonus will expire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Michael's analogy is pretty dead-on, except that in the note it says to email him when you begin so he can email you back with instrux on how to finish the lawn and receive your payment. Of course, those instrux were sent via his automated emailing service and not by him personally.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:51 PM

Actually, Michael's analogy is pretty dead-on, except that in the note it says to email him when you begin so he can email you back with instrux on how to finish the lawn and receive your payment. Of course, those instrux were sent via his automated emailing service and not by him personally.

Of course, nobody actually replies personally, I have now sent seven emails regarding this and received four automated responses.

One of the automated responses guaranteed a real response within 12 hours, that was 22 hours ago.

Until a real rep actually answers an email I'm going to continue the policy of explaining to people on their tables that the site is crooked.

Lori
Old 10-01-2004, 12:04 AM

But they were sent to me personally and the money was deposited by him into my account. He then removed the money out of my account without informing me after I had mowed a portion of his lawn.

Empire really screwed up publicity wise on how they handled this situation. They should have sent an email apologizing and rewarded everyone proportionately rounded up according to the amount of bonus they worked off. They also should have provided everyone an extra $50 bonus that required 500 hands of play.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U