Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 07:52 AM

Default Stupid presto :(

I was obviously ready to fold on the flop, but unfortunately it gets checked around and I have to hit my set on the turn. What would you have done from this point?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero folds.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Stupid presto :(

you really didn't just fold a set, did you?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:58 AM

Well what besides AA and KK does the BB 3-bet preflop, check the flop, and 3-bet the turn?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:05 AM

Would the guy play AK the same way?
I actually think this is a decent laydown because the guy almost always has to have a big set to play his hand this way. It's so consistent with how party players play flopped monsters in this situation. I'm still not sure if I could fold this though. Ok, so really I wouldn't. You have to see the showdown, he'll have AK often enough.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:39 AM

Good God man!...I've seen players go for checkraises from the blinds with AK after raising preflop and then flopping two-pair.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:27 AM

Get to showdown as cheap as you can and accept the results which ever way it turns out. There are quite a few hands you beat that the BB 3 bets on the flop. Your making this harder than it has to be. (Player read would be very important here)
Old 09-30-2004, 09:35 AM

You'd effectively be getting 12:2 to find out whether he has AA/KK/TT/QJs or not, with AK being the most likely hand that you can beat. Call this one down for sure--I hate this turn fold.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:47 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

looks fine to me... maybe you didn't need to raise the turn with only 8 BB in the pot at the time, but I think you probably did. Once you get 3-bet, you're 6-1 on the call down. I don't think your good any more than 5 or 10% of the time here.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:48 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
You'd effectively be getting 12:2 to find out whether he has AA/KK/TT/QJs or not, with AK being the most likely hand that you can beat. Call this one down for sure--I hate this turn fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

AK is NOT most likely because he's far less likely to play it this way. Technically T5 is just as likely as AA/KK, but that doesn't mean it's a consideration.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good God man!...I've seen players go for checkraises from the blinds with AK after raising preflop and then flopping two-pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I don't see this happening that often. I see people do it with sets a lot more.