Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Class Action - The World v. Empire

NIckie,
If you don't understand this and you're above it dont read-we won't miss you-We are your fellow travelers, big fellow,whether you realize it or not.
regards.
carlo
Old 09-29-2004, 04:35 PM

No, Empire emailed a confirmation of the bonus and put it in peoples bonus accounts.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:36 PM

If you said that about my kids to my face you'd have a real nice suit. Hell, you could probably sue the ER for putting your face back on wrong too.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:38 PM

Wow, you guys must have large penises!

This is a thread for legal discussion, stop jacking it!
Old 09-29-2004, 04:39 PM

Because I am a dick. Duh.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:41 PM

Re-railing this thread into "legal discussion", if someone does start a class action suit against Empire, would they please post updates here.

Should be good for a laugh.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:43 PM

gambling, other than recreationally, is illegal in most states. And Empire taking a rake is not recreational.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:43 PM

I'm suing too. I cheated them out of money and they have the nerve to steal it back. and yeah, huge penis.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, the way this whole thing went down, your analogy is still way off.

What this really is like is your neighbor tells some new kid in the neighborhood that he'll pay $100 for him to mow his lawn. You happen to overhear this, and decide to mow the lawn yourself. Then the neighbor sees you (and hundreds of others) all mowing his lawn, and says "hey, that offer wasn't meant for you".

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as long as we're nitpicking the analogy here...

Your neighbor offers the new kid $100 to rake the lawn, you overhear, so you go to the neighbor's house and say you want to rake his lawn for $100. You neighbor then specifically says "OK, you can rake my lawn and I will pay you $100 for it." Then, after specifically telling YOU he would pay you to rake his lawn and you have already begun work, he says "I'm sorry, I thought you were somebody else, I'm not paying you." The kid's response would probably be "I don't care who you thought I was, you said you would pay ME, and this screwup is all your fault." The guy at least owes the kid for the work he completed to that point, and should allow the kid to finish the job as a jesture of good will (especially if the kid is a paying customer, however that would be analogous).

Of course, this is not a legally enforceble contract. It is unfortunate for Empire that they offered this bonus, and silly that they retracted it. As AncientPC has pointed out to an absurd degree across every damn thread, they left themselves a few escape hatches in their T&C. However, the fact that they have chose to use them to reneg on this bonus

There is no question they screwed up and have every right to withdraw the bonus. However, in doing so they have created a PR nightmare for themselves. Sometimes when a company screws up royally (like they have here), they have to jump through a few hoops and sacrifice some money to keep their customers feeling secure and happy, to "make good". It seems like they have specifically decided against doing this, which I find hard to believe.

I don't think they are theives, but they certainly are idiots.

I'm probably going to withdraw and avoid there for a while, as I have an almost moral objection to doing business with companys that are so damn stupid. I'll probably close my account too, as this seems like a good time to start the 6 month clock before I can signup via a rakeback affilate (DON'T PM me, I already found one).
Old 09-29-2004, 04:49 PM

Has it ever occurred to you that there lawyers on both sides of a lawsuit, so for every plaintiff's attorney you despise who is allegedly seeking unjustified and unwarranted compensation, there is a corresponding attorney working to stem this tide? Sure its a symbiotic relationship, but failing to recognize that some lawyers don't do plaintiff's work is a bit of a logical shortcomming.

Either that or you have a good sense of how to get a rise out of touchy, uppiddy people. I'll bet the latter, so this is more of a PSA for the casual observor and a rant I have wanted to make for some time. I stop now but this thread is great, most notably because the absurdity of lebronmania is back. Lets hear about his win rate.