Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Class Action - The World v. Empire

Just wondering who's gonna have the initiative to get this tihng rolling. I do believe, from my reading of the pertinent clauses of the disclaimer and e-mails, that a solid case exists for a class action vs. Empire for unilaterally breaching the $500 match bonus agreement.

I'm a lawyer, but I dont currently practice. I might, tho, be willing to aid another attorney, more experienced in this field. I've been told that Empire is Canadian, is that true? Any Canadian lawyers up there?

Empire support people, if you're listening to this, any court action, and further damage to your public relations, can be stopped immediately if you simply own up to your obligations.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Class Action - The World v. Empire

Come on dude. Get serious. Did you read this:

http://www.empirepoker.com/offers/st...onditions.html

2. EmpirePoker.com reserves the right to send particular promotions to particular players. Promotional offers are intended for the addressed recipient only and cannot be transferred. If you are not the intended recipient, then the offer is null and void.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Empire support people, if you're listening to this, any court action, and further damage to your public relations, can be stopped immediately if you simply own up to your obligations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh SNAP! Empire, you just got served!
Old 09-29-2004, 04:00 PM

Can you please explain the details of the solid case we have?

Right now it seems like Empire had every right to take away that money.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:10 PM

E-mail "$500 has been added to your Bons Account"

"You have been awarded a bonus amount of $500 and the money has been added into your Bonus account. All you need to do now is to play 2500 raked hands and the bonus amount will be released to your Real money account."

Great, the bonus offer is null and void. What we're talking 'bout it NOT the termination of a bonus OFFER, but the termination of a bonus AGREEMENT.

The distinction between offer and agreement is huge in this case. According to the terms of their disclaimer, they were not obligated to honor the bonus code. In fact, even if you were the intended recipient, they could at any time modify, alter, or terminate the offer. However, once the offer has been accepted, it is an agreement, supported by consideration...i.e., a binding contract.

You agreed to play 2500 raked hands, which is of value to them. They agreed to pay you $500, which is of value to you.

Let 'em null and void the offer all they want, they're still stuck with the agreement.

*snap*
Old 09-29-2004, 04:11 PM

Why don't you tell your mommy too?
Old 09-29-2004, 04:14 PM

I disagree. I could see it argued that the agreement isn't fulfilled by you, and remains only an offer, until you've completed playing the 2500 hands.

Now...if someone had managed to complete the 2500, and had the bonus released to them, THEN Empire took it away, then I think your case would be valid.

Unfortunately, I don't think the fact that you got an automated e-mail constitutes an agreement of any sort. I'm not a lawyer, but I have a hard time imagining a court wouldn't toss this out in a heartbeat after reading the T&Cs.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:17 PM

Good luck with your suit. Even if Empire "took" the money away in a fashion that breaches their terms stated elsewhere, where do you intend to bring this case? I'm sure that the US courts would love to hear how you are doing illegal gambling, and now you feel screwed and want some money. LOL. Then, I'm sure that the government of Antigua, or wherever Empire is, would really care at all what some silly lawsuit brought up by a bunch of foreigners. Hilarious.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:21 PM

Fvcking lawyers. Can't you guys stick to running doctors out of business and saving the world from McDonalds?
Old 09-29-2004, 04:21 PM

wrong, If i offer you $100 to rake my lawn and you rake 50% of it and before you finish I say I don't want my lawn raked, I still owe you the money. We had an agreement we I agreed to pay you the money for you raking the lawn. Empire said deposit and play 2500 hands and we will give you $500. They then reneged on this after customers accepted by depositing and playing on thier site. They have breached a contract or if the agreement was only complete after the 2500 hands as you say. A case in equity can be made for the bonus on the hands that were played.