Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Lay KK down on the flop

Party $1 BB Pot-Limit Hold'em

I have about $200 and KK in middle-late position. Three limpers to me and I pot it making it a total of $6.50. Two callers one of which has me covered. The flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] checked to me and i bet twenty into a twenty-two dollar pot. The guy who has me covered min-check raises twenty more. What do you do here? He had me covered by like five bucks so for all purposes stack sizes were relatively equal.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Lay KK down on the flop

There are only two hands to be concerned about, I think, AA and JJ. Would he slow play AA PF like that? If not, then JJ is the only real worry. (I'm discounting 77 and 55, as he would be less likely to call your PF raise with those hands.)

I might lose a lot of money, but I'd call his CR, thinking he's more likely to have AJ or QQ, or possibly AK.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:19 PM

He'd slowplay a set on that ugly board. I think you're good.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:39 PM

If the player is unknown or LAG, i would reraise every time.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:41 PM

(I'm discounting 77 and 55, as he would be less likely to call your PF raise with those hands.)

I might lose a lot of money, but I'd call his CR, thinking he's more likely to have AJ or QQ, or possibly AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

55/77 = 6 ways (total).
AJ = 12 ways (9 off-suit, 3 suited).

if villain is any good (certainly no guarentee), he will not call with AJo. calling with AJs would also be pretty loose, but it's not unheard of. 55 and 77, OTOH, are perfect pre-flop calling hands when stacks are deep, for exactly situations like these - you have a good chance to break a PFR with a concealed set.

on the flop: i don't like a fold here. i also don't like a raise, b/c any raise will have committed enough of your stack that folding to a push would be crappy. and calling the push, likely with 2 outs, is also unappealing. so i'd call.

then he's very likely to pot the turn. i'd call that too, and plan to call the river push. advocating all of this calling makes me a little nauseous but i think that there is a decent chance he has Jx, and playing it this way lets him keep thinking his hand is good. if an A hits, i'm folding.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He'd slowplay a set on that ugly board. I think you're good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of people, like me, fast play sets on ugly boards because of this reason.Why would I slow play if I can put you on TPTK or overpair and know that you would expect me to slow play if I had a set?

In my opinion in this hand, the minraise indicates monster strength . He didn't go all in because hes afraid of driving you away and he knows you won't fold to the minraise. I don't see a minraise coming from AJo. I think villain flopped his set. I would guess set of 7s.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:09 PM

yea, call or fold. stacks are too deep to make it a push or fold, and you are in position. its not the end of the world to fold this hand vs another big stack. depends on how bad the players are in that game.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:10 PM

Default Results and Thoughts

The flop min. check-raise has been in my experience a tell of a big hand. Many opponents are unsure of how much to raise and they don't want to lose their customers. This opponent had a $200 stack at a $50 max buy-in table so I'm assuming that he was no fool. He didn't seem LAG and was not involved in many pots. In this particular hand I folded to the flop check raise and the opponent did not show his hand and I made no mention of my holding. My thoughts were a set but perhaps I'm seeing monsters under my bed!