Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Funny hand at the Trop a while back

Went to AC a few months ago and sat at a 1-5 spread game at the Trop, full of older calling stations, an interesting hand came up. I am dealt hidden sevens with a 6 up. Bring in bet is from a deuce, two callers before me with K and Q, I call and another caller behind. I get the third seven on fourth, deuce pairs and checks, two more checks to me, I bet out $2, get a call form the deuces and the ace.

Now three handed, I get an 8 (coincidentaly suite to the 6 and an underneath 7). The other fella gets his third 2, and bets out 5, fold from the Ace, and I raise 5. The 2s call, then he checks blind as the final up card comes down. HE GETS THE FOURTH DEUCE. A strange silence befalls the room as I check behind. Long story short- he bets $5 after seventh, I look at my hole cards and see that I have caught the one outer and now have quad sevens, raise, he calls and everyone comments how there is a first time for everything.

Now my immediate question, which I did not ask at the time, was - Why wouold he bet out on seventh? Was there any positive EV to that bet?

Of course not, but I appreciated the extra $5
Old 09-25-2004, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Funny hand at the Trop a while back

Having played a certain amount of low-limit stud in my day, I would submit that your typical low-limit stud player is not familiar with concepts like EV. Let the big-time pros on TV try to get inside of each other's heads. I don't want to know what most of these guys are thinking.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:35 PM

No doubt. That's what he gets for checking blind :P.
Out of curiosity with the 4th deuce on 6th street would you have called if he had bet out instead of checking blind?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:32 PM

its been a LONG while since i played that level, so what i am saying may not be true. but i would bet EVERY time. against agood player there may not be EV but they are few and far between, most will call just for the hell of it.

Pat
Old 09-28-2004, 12:42 AM

This is a classic case of why I miss playing low limit games played by completely clueless people.

There is a great lesson in this..

1) NEVER EVER CHECK BLIND.. ( especially in Stud )
2) Don't EVER bet when your board is the best hand you could have.. ( a.k.a ) quads..

CJ
Old 09-28-2004, 12:46 AM

PAT,

Please re-read your post and the original.. You have been playing a long time!!!! You know damned well you aren't going to bet open quads on the river.. ( ESPECIALLY after you have CORRECTLY bet 6th and got CALLED )

CJ

P.S. - Please tell me I misread something in your post.. Pretty Please
Old 09-28-2004, 11:51 AM

In response to John, No way I call a bet on sixth to one out.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:14 PM

The dude has quads, right. How often does one get quads. He has to bet out. You got miracle/miracle. God bless you if you win (which you did),but for him not to bet out is foolish. If you had trips or even 2 pr you would call, si? He felt pretty safe with quads. You showed a straight/flush/possibly boat?
Old 09-28-2004, 04:46 PM

You definitely bet the open quads on the river if you're playing lower limits at PartyPoker. I'm amazed at the number of times I've been called on the river by people who can't beat my board, much less beat my real hand. So a bet that should be -EV would almost certainly be +EV at PP at the lower limits.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Re: You are right!

"as the final up card comes down. HE GETS THE FOURTH DEUCE."

i read this as "the final card comes down, as in it was a down card!" so you are right. sorry! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Pat