Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2004, 05:32 PM

Default For Pity\'s Sake... Why do they teach them?!?!... RANT

So here I am, sat at a wonderful low limit $0.50/$1.00 table with 6 or 7 players seeing each flop, and at least two or more with you at the river...

Now some WANNABE POKER AUTHOR buys in for a couple of grand (just incase anyone doesn't instantly recognise his superior poker skill)...

...after playing a few hands WANNABE POKER AUTHOR starts asking if anyone at the table has played poker for a while and if they play more than one table at a time... since he gets no reply to that, he then feels that he must go into detail about the starting hands to play, playing from position and so on, and soon enough the clueless fish start asking him questions which he helpfully answers in a friendly manner.

Soon I am sat at a table where the fish are asking the great WANNABE POKER AUTHOR how they too can reach the 'dizzying' heights of $5/$10 level that the WANNABE POKER AUTHOR plays so successfully. I am sat reading a WLLHE / SSH tutoring lesson going on in the chat room box, with WANNABE POKER TUTOR answering questions about position, raising for value, suited connectors, loose players, pot odds... the abosulute friggin works!

Guess what happenened next.....

..... the table tightened up, players followed his advice and a sweet game turned into a humdinging crap one.

Please... if you are the kind of guy who feels that he needs to drop down a few levels every now and then to blow off some steam, yet feel it absoulutly nessercary to teach all the fish how to play so that they no longer become fishy... please spare a thought for us guys who are still working our way up the ladder and need these fish to stay just the way the way they are...

oh, and before I forget... STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY GOD DAMN PATCH!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Re: For Pity\'s Sake... Why do they teach them?!?!... RANT

I find it irritating when people do that or start berating the fish who just sucked him out after calling a PF raise with a garbage hand. It's like throwing free money out the window. There's not much worse than watching a fish leave the table with money that I could have taken from him.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:40 PM

Dude, this happens all the time.

The easiest thing to do - if you're on Party/Empire - is simply use their "invitation" system to -politely- ask the guy to stop. I did this today with a guy talking about his PokerTracker database. I told him he was free to ignore me, but it seemed we'd all be better off if other players didn't know he had that tool, much less that it even existed. It ended well.

ElSapo
Old 09-28-2004, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, this happens all the time.

The easiest thing to do - if you're on Party/Empire - is simply use their "invitation" system to -politely- ask the guy to stop. I did this today with a guy talking about his PokerTracker database. I told him he was free to ignore me, but it seemed we'd all be better off if other players didn't know he had that tool, much less that it even existed. It ended well.

ElSapo

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I'd never noticed that you can invite people, let alone put a message in the invite. This rocks.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is simply use their "invitation" system to -politely- ask the guy to stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, drat, I never new about that. How do you use it? Where is the button for it?