Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 08:26 PM

Default Reverse nit

I was running incredibly lucky today so this came up a lot more often than usual.

I still haven't figured out how exactly to, mentally, deal with these people who start criticizing my play in situations where the more improbable draw comes through.

Situation, meat to follow -
For example: Stars 2/4, I'm holding 68s in the SB, I complete into a 5-way pot. The flop gives me bottom pair (6) and a backdoor straight and a backdoor flush draw. I bet out to try to clean up my outs and because this is one of those tables where someone's guaranteed to bet but it's rarely raised (perfect checkraise table). Unfortunately it's raised to me after two folds (so only 3 of us in). I'm not happy but I'm not going to show weakness by bet/folding the flop. On the turn I pick up the OESD. I check/call this time, the caller from last round folds. The river brings not my straight but another six. I checkraise (this is one of those people for whom scare cards don't exist, not to mention the bottom card pairing isn't much scary anyway) and pick up the pot.

meat here
So obviously the guy I beat was upset. I'd played crap (completing with ATSWD from the SB, but 86s is still pretty crappy), made at least one plausible error (possibly more, if my straight draw wasn't live, it was possible I was working on a gutshot with a dead draw to the upper end) in not check/calling the flop. More, this guy was a true nit. My problem when I see guys talk like this is that I start wishing I could 'help' them (at least the ones who aren't just completely stupid), make them understand the nature of value, outs, and all that. They're making the standard error of trying to improve the play of a perceived fish, and I'm fighting back the urge to make the exact same mistake right back at them. I think this time I couldn't hold it in and made some little comment like 'I guess my OESD was dead, eh?' Which of course made him come back with 'at least I know you'll lose all your money'.. at which point I lost all interest in being reasonable.

Later I had a bunch of great hands in a row that I raised, reraised, or capped with (AKs, AQs, AK, KK, JJ)... I won every hand on the turn or river without going to showdown so they were all wondering what I had. Every time I either hit top pair, two pair or (with the Jacks) just kept betting with a plausible best hand. Next hand I pick up 87s on the button. Almost a family pot so I raise for value (and because I hate seeing the blinds get in for free when I have even a reasonable justification to raise). I flop top two, turn a boat and drag a very sizeable pot. Now I'm getting attacks from the entire table. Again, I want to defend myself. Hell, I wouldn't even mind taking one or two of these guys aside and trying to improve their play a little. That's terrible, and thankfully I know it so I just sit there and shut up. Eventually I let out another little meep in response to their comments about me calling and raising with nothing ('you mean value raising with suited connectors, flopping two pair and turning a boat?') and the reply 'you read too many poker books' pretty much brought me back to center. I no longer cared about these guys.

So the question or discussion I'm interested in is this - do any of you have the tendency to want to talk back to the more reasonable gripers, not just about your hands but other peoples where they just miss the solid foundation of the play? Or does it just slide off you after enough time. And for those of you who actually are affected, do you have any method for keeping your mouth shut? In these two cases today speaking a little worked hugely to my advantage as it obviously put these couple guys on tilt and certainly they didn't respect my hands from then forward, but I can't imagine that in general prodding the fools would have a positive effect, and it might send more timid players scurrying away. I usually end up scoffing loudly at my computer screen and just keeping my fingers tied, but it's dissatisfying
Old 09-27-2004, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Reverse nit

If I want to put them on tilt I just announce "Yeah, I rule." if I want to shrug it off I say "tough hand" ... to the people who think we're playing high card and not poker, which is most people when they lose, I just shrug.

The urge to 'lecture' a weaker player is as infantile as a child demanding candy so I find a plan of ignoring them is best. They won't respect or listen to you. I also hope you cracked aces on the 8/6s hand, heh.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:18 PM

I had a similar situation happen to me the other day in the pp 1/2 game. I raised pf w two big cards from late position (AJ I think) after two limpers. I missed the flop and ended up losing the hand, but to my surprise, was then the recipeint of much criticism from limper #1 who had limped in UTG+1 with Q10 off and ended up dragging the pot. His criticisms pretty much amounted to belligerent, pompous nonsense, but at the end of his little diatribe, he also hinted that I would go broke quickly at that table. In response, I rebought for another $1500 and asked him if he thought that would be sufficient for our $1/2 game.

Typically, trying to help the players in your game will either go unappreciated, misunderstood, or both. Occaisonally, you will be insulted for it. I have found that is is usually best just to say something witty and move on.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Reverse nit - Deep Cover

I just prefer to let them think I'm dumb. Deep cover.

A while back in a live game (4-8 HE), I flopped a double-belly-buster straight draw, and when I made my straight with the river card and won a big pot, my opponent misread the board and said disgustedly, "He drew the whole way with an inside straight draw!!"

I could have carefully shown him and the others that I really had 8 outs, not 4, but no. I just gave him a big wide smile and said, "I just felt lucky this time so I stayed in."

- Dick
Old 09-28-2004, 12:51 PM

I simply inform these types of people that I had a very strong draw. If they disagree then I explain to them that I in fact did and that I was 50/50 to hit it and that they are stupid if they claim otherwise. I'm either going to hit it, or I'm not. 50/50.

GoT
Old 09-28-2004, 01:05 PM

I have found the easiest solution to all of this is to turn off chat. Some people are very good at talking smack and getting others off their game, and, I suppose that might be alright, I just don't want to be part of it.

Also, with chat off, you won't be wasting valuable energy looking for a snappy comeback, defending yourself, etc. If I suck out on a pot, I do - end of story. If someone is berating me, well, I don't see it and they are wasting their time. And if someone sucks out on me? My chat is off and I am not going to selectively turn it on when something bad happens to me. It's forgotten and I get on with a new hand.

Give it a shot. Once you get used to it it's great.

Bug
Old 09-28-2004, 01:14 PM

Just type "It must be all of the cold syrup I drank this morning."
Old 09-28-2004, 01:31 PM

if someone starts whining, I always type, "boo friggen hoo."
Old 09-28-2004, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still haven't figured out how exactly to, mentally, deal with these people who start criticizing my play in situations where the more improbable draw comes through.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me it is very, very simple and it’s one of the many upsides to online play.
Turn off the chatter if for know other reason turn it off to better concentrate on the game and the players.
I've been 4 tabling (short handed of late) and I just don't have time for it.

The old saying goes if you want friend “get a dog” and if you want to talk “get a wife”.

Best wishes