Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Re: 30/60 AK button open raise

Ok I feel better about the play now.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:08 PM

Just to clarify:

I'm assuming that you checked behind on the turn because you did not want to face a turn checkraise, and were hoping to pick off a possible (very likely IMO) bluff or thin value bet on the river. This is player/read dependant. With no reads, I think this is one of several reasonable lines.

Personally, I might have raised the river here (with the intention of folding to a 3-bet) hoping to get a crying/curiosity call from a Q or a pocket pair. You can easily fold to a river 3-bet, but you can NEVER fold to a turn checkraise with your hand in this game.

Against many players in this game, however, you would WANT them to checkraise the turn so you could 3-bet and get maximum value out of your hand.

The bb here absolutely butchered this hand. The best line for him (and I don't think its really all that debatable in this game) would have been to check raise the flop and lead the turn. You'd be astonished how often a line like this gets called all the way down by an unimproved decent A-high, and if that person happens to hit one of their overcards, then multiple bets will usually go in on at least one of the later streets.

If he had checkraised the flop, would you have popped him after hitting your K on the turn?

What if the turn was a black 2? Do you fold, call-down, or raise for a free showdown?

I guess the point is that I don't think you played this hand particularly well or particularly bad. Your opponent just played like an idiot and gave you his money.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:20 PM

In relatively small pots like this I'm a fan of inducing them to auto bet the river. I'll usually have AQ or AJ when I play it in the manner I did. If I occasionally do things like this it might also allow me to more cheaply showdown ace high. I believe at the time I was considering raising some rivers but didn't have the guts to do so when the Q came, putting 3 blue broadway cards on the board.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:28 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
The BB had Q7o. At the time I was thinking this was a way ahead/way behind situation

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is even close to being a way ahead/way behind situation. There are a ton of hands he could have.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Re: results

As some others pointed out, the best move on the turn will often depend on your opponent. A lot of guys will call me one time on the flop since they've seen me give up on the turn before. They hope to get 2 cards for the price of 1 and can choose to autobet the river to try to push me off a better hand. Doing something like this occasionally can earn an extra bet in situations where they'd fold on the turn possibly drawing dead. But like mmcd pointed out, against a lot of the players you can collect 3 bets on the turn with confidence. I didn't know anything about this guy and thought he might be going for a "1 timer" so I chose this line.