Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 01:29 AM

Default KK...Weak flop action from me?

I'm multitabling so no real reads butI haven't seen anything crazy out of the villain.

I'm not crazy about just calling the flop min raise.

How about my river bet?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (8 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($36.25)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($114)</font>
UTG+1 ($36)
MP1 ($51.50)
MP2 ($95.50)
<font color="C00000">CO <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> ($159.75)</font>
Button ($97)
SB ($41)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> calls $1, Button folds, SB completes, BB folds.

Flop: ($3) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $13</font>, <font color="CC3333">Villain raises to $26</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $13.

Turn: ($55) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villain checks.

River: ($55) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, Villain calls $25.

Final Pot: $105
<font color="green">Main Pot: $105, between Hero and Villain.</font>

Results to come...
Old 09-27-2004, 01:58 AM

Default Re: KK...Weak flop action from me?

limping with kings makes baby jesus cry
Old 09-27-2004, 05:03 AM

I hate the limp. Just had to get that out first.

Why the $13 bet into a $3 pot on the flop? If this is consistent with your style then I guess it's ok, but do you really want the $3 that bad? If you do get action you're probably either behind or barely ahead, so why play a big pot out of position?

Once your $13 bet gets raised I think you can make a case for calling or for folding. Personally I would lean towards folding, unless you think he'd raise here with a hand like 77. There's a million drawing hands out, some of which are actually a favorite over you on the flop, and you're probably going to have to commit a lot of chips on later streets out of position. I'd give him the $13 bucks and move on.

Since you called you obviously didn't give him credit for the straight on the flop, so I think you have to lead again at the turn. Now if he flopped two pair or a low set you have him crushed, and if he has A6d or 66 or something the last thing you want to do it give him a free card.

When the turn goes check check it really looks like he's on a draw, so I would check and call a reasonable bet on the river, since a bet will only get called if he got there (or is an idiot and has something like 88)

My 2½ cents.
-Solo
Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 AM

Oops I really should read what comes out of the hand convertor...It didn't even show me as limping in the original hand let alone raising pre-flop...I did in fact make a raise to 4BB which has been my standard raise. Not sure what happened there.
The hand should look like this.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (8 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($36.25)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($114)</font>
UTG+1 ($36)
MP1 ($51.50)
MP2 ($95.50)
<font color="C00000">CO <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> ($159.75)</font>
Button ($97)
SB ($41)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG bets $4, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> calls $4, Button folds, SB completes, BB folds.

Flop: ($3) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $13</font>, <font color="CC3333">Villain raises to $26</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $13.

Turn: ($55) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villain checks.

River: ($55) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, Villain calls $25.

Final Pot: $105
<font color="green">Main Pot: $105, between Hero and Villain.</font>
Old 09-27-2004, 03:29 PM

Did SB Call pre-flop to $4, it says SB completes. I'll assume SB called and pot is $13 and you made a pot-sized bet. I would call the flop min raise depending on the player as some will play back at you as pre-flop raiser on this type of draw heavy flop, putting you on high cards and probaly not getting a piece of it.

On the Turn after calling the flop and deciding that villian does not have the str8 but is drawing to either str8, flush or both, you must bet the pot. There is $55 in the pot you should want to take it down there, no reason to slow play with vilian on a draw.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:25 PM

I'm bad at reading hands, but here's my guess. His check on the turn makes me think that his raise after the flop was a semi-bluff. I can't see him calling with anything the initial raise with anything that gives him the straight already.

I put him on 66 or maybe A6s. I woudln't call a raise with A6s but there are people who would. Futhermore, if he had A6 of diamonds, that might explain the raise on the flop. Then he caught a 7 completing his open ended straight draw, I guess.

So I guess my point is that by the time you knew you were ahead, he had checked to get his straight and you were behind.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:08 PM

Yes SB did complete and I made a pot sized bet on the flop.

I decided that once he min raised the flop he wasn't on a drawing hand...this was a fairly passive table and I didn't think he'd be min-raise semi bluffing.

I put him on a medium pocket pair with a small chance he was holding 66. Thats why I don't like my just calling on the flop I think I probably should have pushed here.

Once I hit my K on the turn I obviously went for a c/r which failed. I didn't lead out because I didn't think he was drawing and would probably bet.

When the 7 fell I thought "Ok. Bet 25 and hope for a showdown, fold to a large raise." I wanted to bet enough to show strength but not get committed.

Anyways he turned up 4s5s for the flopped two pair and I took down the pot. I never saw that coming. I guess he should have pushed harder on the flop. I must say if I was him I would've lost a fair bit of cash on the turn...