Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 03:51 AM

Default Is there anything I could\'ve done to avoid this?

Pokerstars $500+30 NL tourney, blinds are 15-30, I have 2350 in chips. I limp in utg with AdAc. Guy next to me raises minimum to 60, guy after that reraises to 120. Pass around me, I think about it and make it 600 to go. Yes this is a huge overbet but given the way the guy next to me has been playing I figure its the only way to get heads up. Also it may cause the reraiser to go all in. To my surprise the 1st raiser calls and the reraiser folds. Pot is now 1365. Flop comes QsAs6s. I have 3 aces but I'm not messing around, all in for 1750. I get called immediately. Guy turns over 10s10d. He has 1 spade. Of course it hits and I don't fill up. While I question how this chimp even learned how to use a computer, I wonder if there was any way to avoid this (no so close) gamble. Maybe if I had made it 400 to go instead of 600 maybe his pot odds would've been worse and my all in larger. Any ideas?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Is there anything I could\'ve done to avoid this?

i think you played it perfectly
Old 09-27-2004, 04:08 AM

no, there's nothing you could do. if you knew his cards you'd have wanted him to call both bets. he did. stop thinking about this hand, and start playing another tournament.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:52 AM

Can't believe the same folk frequent $500 games as do the $25 turbos [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. We need to know his name for future games [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I can't see how to play it differently, he surely must've had alarm bells going off for an UTG check reraise??

Like I say, since obviously not you must want to play in games with this player every day

stoneii
Old 09-27-2004, 09:28 AM

The question is not how to avoid this gamble. You don't want to avoid this gamble, you want to take this edge. Obviously you are upset that you lost, but if you really think that you want to avoid this hand, then you seriously need to reevaluate this game.

Poker is gambling, if you can't accept that sometimes the best hand loses (even in a 500 buy-in) then go play chess.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:01 AM

You got just what u wanted, 1 caller that was a 4-1 underdog.
Umfortunatly he took a big risk calling your flop bet and hit. Thats the brakes.
I don't think you would have been happier going all-in b4 the flop and taking the min win. By the way, the chimp probably calls that all in as well.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:50 PM

The only way to avoid this is to stop playing poker.

Tough beat, but you played the hand perfectly.

Peace

Goodie