Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 09:47 AM

Default Am I raising with a losing hand?

I felt kind of lost on this hand, so I do what I normally do when I am lost -- bet and raise. I had just sat down and posted. No reads. I was getting like 13-1 on the raise pre-flop, and, frankly, couldn't resist calling. Does anyone else call that?

I think the turn raise is correct, but the river? Should I have raised at all? Should I have capped?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

River: (22.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 37.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 37.50 BB, between MP3, Hero, BB, UTG and UTG+1.</font>
Old 09-27-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Am I raising with a losing hand?

I fold PF, it's just like playing from the BB.

-Sent
Old 09-27-2004, 10:11 AM

I would cap the river. MP3 didn't raise pre-flop so the chances he has the nuts is slimmer. Q9 is a possibility. But you have three people behind you who look like you're definitely ahead of and will call the cap.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Sent

You fold pre flop getting 15-1? Can you please explain? I'm almost in "any two" territory here.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:28 AM

Getting 13-1 pre-flop (most likely 15-1), I could look down at pretty much any two, and call.

Calling the flop seems good - you have a gutshot, and are getting the odds on it.

Raising the turn is great - trap those bastards!

On the river, I'm so ungodly confused by MP3 that I probably just call in the hopes everyone else will call behind me. An intelligent player with AQ would have check/raised your bet here. Someone with 9Q would have come alive on the turn. Seeing as how everyone called along and he 3-bet, I just call the 3-bet.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:10 PM

I agree with Davelin, cap that river. Unless someone has Q9, ur good. At .5/1 many of the players overplay their hands. Even though the you have to worry about it, the times he doesn't have it, ur going to pick up that extra BB from every other person in the pot. I say you should go for it.