Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 04:19 AM

Default NL$100 6-Max Party : Failed bluff

Hero limps UTG with A6s. Villain has been playing very aggressively, and I don't think I've seen a single show down (quad-tabling, and he's only been at the table for 30 or so hands). Just a lot of raising and reraising, especially on the button. I decide to make a stand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

BB ($418.50)
Hero ($211.75)
MP ($322.60)
Button <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> ($73.50)
SB ($101)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls $2, MP calls $2, <font color="CC3333">Button <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> raises to $6</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Button <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> raises to $40</font>, Hero ...?

So after his reraise I'm pretty certain he actually has a hand and I'm far behind. I can't be certain, since he's been playing incredibly aggressively, but I'm almost 90% I'm behind. But the question is, can I call this? I believe pocket pairs JJ and higher or AK are all probably holdings. I'm almost a hundred percent certain that if I check the flop he's pushing -- he's an excessively aggressive player. Now the question is, with the pot + implied odds, can I call? How hard do I have to hit? AAX? A6X? Flush draw? AXX? I'm not going to get any information of the flop; I'm sure he's pushing with 3 high if it comes to it.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:20 AM

Default Re: NL$100 6-Max Party : Failed bluff

No you can't call this. You're out of position with a horrible hand.

There's no reason to bluff an agressor unless you have a hand. The villain's aggression will do him in soon enough.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:28 AM

dont ever bluff preflop in this game.
1. the players are too loose preflop
2. they make lots of mistakes post flop
Old 09-26-2004, 09:03 AM

Many aggressive players have trouble laying down any decent hand. I dont know what variety of player this guy is, but why do you want to re-raise with a really marginal hand out of position when you hate to even see a call? Even if he calls and you flop an A, youre put in a spot where you're basically forced to go the felt w/top pair crap kicker.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:06 PM

Assuming he's got a better ace or pocket pair 77-KK, you'll be getting odds of about 2.1-1 to 2.4-1. You're getting more than that form the pot right now, but if you call there will be $85 in the pot, and villain will only have $33 left in front of him, so you'll probably be committed (i.e., you'll have to push on the flop regardless of what comes). So your real odds are 98-55, or 1.78-1. Unless you think he'd fold the flop frequently, that's not enough. Fold.

And, as the others have said, don't get tricky against a player like this. Just wait for him to put the money in w/ marginal hands.