Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2004, 06:35 AM

Default Destroying a calling station

Are these river bets a good or bad idea in general?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $10.
CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP (poster) folds, CO calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.75 BB, between CO and Hero.</font>
Old 09-25-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Destroying a calling station

1) Giving your opponent random cards, he will have a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 36% of the time - so a value bet is good I think. smaller pairs and A high might call to keep you honest and hoping to win.

2) Your opponent sees 4 diamonds as well. If he had a "good" diamond he would bet ' cos he fears you checking behind. This means that even if he HAS a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] a CR is very unlikley.

These 2 reasons make me bet if checked to.

If I am first to act here, I check/call hoping to induce a bluff from overcards or a bluff/value bet from a smaller pair and perhaps having a small flush timidly check behind. This avoids an uncomfortable raise. I would have to be VERY sure to lay it down for the extra bet and I am rarely that sure. However, I am sure that a good argument could be made here for betting and folding to a raise. In fact it is probably +EV or at least close. However, I am a wimp!

Preflop interesting. The raise worked well but I probably just call here. In my experience both blinds folding is rare, so I would overlimp to try and make it multiway.

However, I have been known to be wrong [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

trevor
Old 09-25-2004, 07:13 AM

I knew the CO limper was pretty bad before playing this hand. So with that information I definitely want to at least call with JTs on the button. With the extra $10 post I think a raise becomes correct here because its $10 more that can cause either of the blinds or the poster to fold. The result of me having the CO limper heads up with $25 dead money in the pot is excellent. In addition, if one or two others decide to come along the raise will sometimes give me a free turn card or allow me to bet the flop to take a free river card.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:56 PM

JT suited or not, is a trouble hand for me. i muck with 1 limper, call with 2. i only raise when folded to me on the button.

as for your river play, i agree with others that betting is superior to checking through.

cheers!