Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2004, 11:56 AM

Default K9h in the SB....i suck

Foxwoods 1/2 NL. I have a very deep stack, about $700 (it's been a good night). One limper from EP. He has the second biggest stack at the table, maybe $250. This guy is pretty bad, limps with a lot of Ax hands, any broadway. Pretty aggro postflop.

Anyways, I call the SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB checks and three to the flop. Flop comes:

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I bet out $10, trying to take down the pot right there. I have a pretty tight table image, and can get away with this pretty often. BB folds, limper makes it $10 more. Hmmm...I think for a minute...and I call. Turn is the jackpot:

K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check...he bets $25. What to do???? Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:03 PM

Default Re: K9h in the SB....i suck

I'm am new to NL cash, but I think you check-raise to about $100 and hope he pushes. I'm guessing he flopped two pair with an A6, or maybe he has AT, A9 or something. It is also possible he has a set and just filled up, but I think you are ahead here most of the time.

He would have raised AK and likely wouldn't play K6, right? Or would this guy try to limp-reraise w/ AK?
Old 09-25-2004, 02:05 PM

No, this guy definitely isn't tricky enough to limp reraise with AK. But, I think if I check-raise to $100 he will only call with a set of 6's, or a better king. He definitely doesn't have AK, he would have raised, and I can factor out K6.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:31 PM

so if you figure you're beat if he calls your check raise, what play would you prefer? if you just call, what are you going to do on the river if he bets out at you?
Old 09-25-2004, 02:43 PM

Calling and leading out on the river, as long as it's not an ace. I think he would have to call with Ax if I lead out in this fashion on the river. It disguises my hand big time, most players almost assume people with trips go for the turn check-raise. Remember I'm first to act on the river.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:47 PM

I like your completion in the SB

On the flop, don't expect to take it down with your so called "tight" image if your opponent is a weak player who won't give you credit for it.

I would have completed in the SB, check/called on the flop, and fired out a bet on the turn. This gives you significantly more information about your player's hand as opposed to firing out on the flop against a weak player (who will call most anything) and checking a very good hand (when the weak player behind you could consequently bet with any decent ace). Check/raising seems a little too risky to me with a 9 kicker.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:49 PM

thats exactly what i would do. call and bet the river.

if your the big stack and plan on staying longer you need to show people you are willing to show down good hands.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have completed in the SB, check/called on the flop, and fired out a bet on the turn. This gives you significantly more information about your player's hand as opposed to firing out on the flop against a weak player (who will call most anything) and checking a very good hand (when the weak player behind you could consequently bet with any decent ace). Check/raising seems a little too risky to me with a 9 kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this advice a lot, thanks for the input. I had a bad feeling about this hand after I left Foxwoods, I considered it my only big misplay of the night. I agree that check-raising is too risky.

Embarassing as it is, I might as well post the rest of the hand. I just called on the turn, and checked on the river when it came blank. He checked as well, with A9, and I sheepishly turned over my trips, and acted all disappointed like I was going to check-raise on the river, when actually I expected him to bet about $40, and I would have just called. I don't know what came over me, for some reason I thought his $25 turn bet smelled of strength. I think I just outplayed myself on this hand. I thought about it too hard and lost about $50 that I could have won off of him.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about it too hard and lost about $50 that I could have won off of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dwelling/learning from errors is what 2+2 is for, not while you're still at the poker table [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] You can't change the past, so treat every hand with parallel focus.

By this, I mean learn from your mistakes while you are playing, but don't dwell on them so much as they might alter/inhibit your playing in as negative way on future hands. It's just another form of tilting, except you're getting yourself confused as opposed to p*ssed, either way you're going to play worse and lose money.