Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 07:15 PM

Default FACING ALL-IN BET FROM PREDICTABLE BB

NLH tournament with 10 tables. 10 spots get paid and there are 15 people left. Blinds are 1,000 and 2,000. I have 18,000 and it's folded to me in the cutoff seat. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise it to 7,000. Folded to BB who calls with about 30,000 in front of him. I started out at the same table with the BB and noticed he had a piece of paper with starting hands written on it. He had been playing straight forwardly and I didn't perceive him as tricky player.

The flop came down K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB moved all in. I thought about him having pocket aces, but I was pretty sure he would have moved me all in before the flop. Same thing with pocket kings. Big slick was a possibilty as was pocket queens or lower. I put him on a king with a weaker than me and decided to call.

He showed A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I got no help and was out a few spots shy of the money.

Should I have not played this hand and just waited for others to drop out before me? I wasn't in fear of being blinded out. Should I not of called his bet after hitting top pair with second kicker? Or did I play correctly and just ran into a situation where I was dominated and it was just my time?
Old 09-24-2004, 07:41 PM

Default Re: FACING ALL-IN BET FROM PREDICTABLE BB

If your read was that this guy plays straightforwardly then you should have realized that he probably was moving-in with TPTK, or a set. OTOH if your read that this guy was a bully and would play agressively with any piece of the flop or a big draw then you probably should call the all-in here.

I find that when I'm making good decisions based on player reads - that is when I'm playing my best. (Of course not all reads are accurate, and cards do happen!)
Old 09-24-2004, 07:48 PM

I think your read on this player would warrant a fold here as he is a perceived straight forward player with a strength push. As you're unlikely to improve on the hand, I'd probably just fold.

However, I'm a bit puzzled by your comment that you were not worried about being blinded out. If you fold there, you would have only 11000, which is less than 6xBB. You would be pretty limited here and would have to push more often than not if you wish to play. That would be the only reason for you to call the all-in on the flop. I still wouldn't do it though if the other guy is as straight forward as you claim.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:25 AM

Maybe you can fold based on your read of your opponent. However, most people would have pushed here in the BB against the CO with any of the expected hands that would beat you, AA, KK, QQ, or AK. If he had a set of 4s or 9s, he might check to the raiser.

He also might call a late position raise with a king with a lower kicker or he could have the same hand as you.

A lot of players would bluff here representing a a king, but you are pretty sure that is beyond him. However, any player might bet a pp or 9 here, thinking he probably has the best hand.

I think it would be pretty hard to lay down top pair second kicker after late position raise with the money this shallow.