Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 01:39 AM

Default Changing my game

I'm a very new poker player (about 3 months) I've learned playing online and i like the 1 table tournaments no limit hold em the best. I have started playing in 3 home games a week though around here.so far i've been doing ok. I read alot about poker by reading these forums and i have bought 4 of the 2+2 books so far. i decided that 20-22ish % of the flops seen is a good range so i took the top 22% of the starting hands and studied them and decided to only use those and no others for the most part and its seemed to work out well online so far. The problem i have is in the home games i play now we usually only field 5-7 people and we play the same type of game, buy in and play till we have a winner then play another one

My question is how much should i loosen up my starting hand standards for this more shorthanded play. I usually make it to the final 3 people with ease, and more often then not the final 2 at which time the other person is more interested in just splitting up the money and starting again instead of grinding it out with me. I've taken to studying and memorizing the top 50% of the starting hands and i'm looking to take it down to about 45%ish and then lower my standards as we lose people from the table, is this far too loose? what would be a good starting flops seen % for me?

Sorry if this is confusing I'm just trying to learn the game and improve and I think drawing from you people who know much more about the game than me as well as playing lots of hands online as well as offline to understand the importance of the face to face interaction is the best way. Is this true? Thanks in advance