Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 06:34 PM

Default 8-7 suited hand

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed)

UTG <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> ($23.65)
UTG+1 ($6.75)
MP1 ($22.30)
MP2 ($12.85)
MP3 ($5.10)
CO ($11.30)
Button ($14.60)
Hero ($20.60)
BB ($25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> calls $0.25, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.25, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Villain raises to $3</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="CC3333">Villain raises to $23.4</font>, Hero calls $12.35 (All-In).

Turn: ($45) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($45) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $45

I want to know if anyone plays this kind of a hand any differently. I'm curious as to whether people are having more success playing this kind of flop aggressively or passively. For those that play this aggressively, should I adjust how much I bet? Also if you just get flat called, do you push on the turn? How about if you have position, due take a free card if a blank comes?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Re: 8-7 suited hand

You played it perfectly. I think twodimes is down, but you are in great shape in the hand.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:49 PM

i think you played this fine. you have a monster draw right now and you don't mind if he folds but you're still in great shape if he calls. obviously, you should call the all-in. it could be a set which gives you some diffiulties, but you still got the odds to call.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:00 AM

Well played, you are in good shape on the flop. I hope you dooubled up with your runner runner 2 pair and put him on mega-tilt [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 12:05 PM

If you are up against a set of sixes, as one would suspect, then you are an underdog.

Set of Sixes---60% chance of victory
O-E STR8T &amp; Flush Draw---40% chance of victory

His re-raise of your raise was an ominous sign.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:47 PM

Re-Raise more or call on the flop. I think reraising more is the better play. Although, I'd probably call because I couldn't find it in me to make the reraise to 12 or so.

The reraise to 8 makes the opponent call 5 when the pot is already 12.25...so he's getting decent odds to call. It also might leave him with the impression that an all-in might win the pot for him. Also a larger reraise makes calling an all-in less of a head ache because you will be getting better odds...because you tied yourself to the pot.

Keep in mind that you want to get a higher flush draw to fold because that is the one type of hand that you actually do poorly against (higher flush is gonna win 66%). So when you re-raise make it more substantial. A nut flush draw will have a truckload of outs because he'll also think every A (and maybe his kicker)is an out. Therefore your raise will not get the nut flush to fold. Your raise however does leave you with 12 dollars in your stack....just enough that you might consider folding if you are faced with an all-in. So just call and look for the straight or make a reraise that will get a high flush to fold.

If the opponent has a set...oh well...you are gonna beat the set 40% of the time. Most other hands you are even money plus minus a little.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:33 AM

I also think I didn't re-raise enough on the flop. If the stacks were deeper I'd have a tough call to a push. Since they weren't, I think the decision to call doesn't really take any thought.

I don't think calling is necessarily correct in this hand. The reason, I don't like calling is because of my position. I probably won't get paid off if hit the flush. I may just have a real distaste for drawing out of position.

What may make me concede though that re-raising in this spot isn't the right play is that everytime I've been called, this time being no exception, I've been shown a set. So it seems it may be -EV in that I'm not getting called enough by non-set hands or having enough people fold, to compensate for the 40%-60% odds.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:39 AM

You're close, he had 9-9 for top set. It was an ominous sign but at that point there was no reason to lay it down. Even against a set, the best possible holding for my opponent to have, I still had the pot odds to call.

Its just a shame I put so much in the pot before that when I wasn't the favorite.