Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 02:45 PM

Default 30/60 JJ hand

Comments on any part of this appreciated. No reads as I just sat down and have not been playing at this limit. I normally do not reraise preflop with JJ. Should I raise the flop to see where I am at? Since he is checking on the river is the check behind ok? I was scared of a weak ace when he checked the river.

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero ???
Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 09-22-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: 30/60 JJ hand

3-bet PF, failing that bet the river.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:03 PM

Three-bet preflop or fold much less often depending on read. Get rid of big overcards in the blinds and take control, especially with position. Are you willing to call this guy down with TT? 99? If you call down, you (I would think) are putting this guy on a crappy pair or big cards that didn't pair. Don't bet, as I hope you would figure he had big cards and no pair. If you thought he had some crappy pair and that's the way you play it, you're giving up a lot of money. What do you do on a AKQ flop... AK9? I'm having trouble articulating my thought process after the flop and have probably either miscomunicated or have confused some people already. Bottom line is that this hand becomes much much easier to play if you three-bet preflop. Check the river.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:25 PM

I have mostly been playing 5/10 and with TT and JJ I think (PT stats) I was losing money when I was 3 betting those two hands so I had changed my strategy to raising if first in or calling one bet cold and doing that these hands were paying off at that limit. As it turned out the guy turned over 33 for the crappy pair and a missed straight draw. If I had 3-bet preflop I can see where the blinds would probably have folded and he would call. My guess is with his straight draw he might have bet the flop and I probably would have called him down……? If he had bet the flop I should have raised and he probably would have folded? As it was I checked behind him on the river.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:26 PM

I agree with everything random said. You're playing way too passively with the 4th best possible starting hand and you have to 3 bet preflop. If he caps, then you know you're looking at AK, AA, KK, or QQ usually. If he smooth calls, you're most likely ahead and you can gain or save bets in future rounds depending on what comes. Once he checks the river, you should usually check also, but betting isn't all that bad. I don't think he checks an ace, but KK and QQ are possible, and he may call with TT or lower, and maybe even KQ. Since you just sat down, I'd consider betting just to try and build an aggressive/wild table image, and there's a big enough chance you're betting for value here. First impressions mean a lot, and honestly, I feel there's only 2 hands you can be afraid of here.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:47 PM

I'd be more inclined to bet the river if a diamond didn't come since that makes it easier for worse than JJ to call.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:53 PM

I’m sure I’m going to have to adjust my game quite a bit as I try to move up to the bigger games. I think the hardest thing is going to be that I need to be more aggressive. At the 5/10 level the tight player will get the money online but I can see I will get out-played at the higher levels without the adjustment. The huge swing in SD is going to be tough……….. Right now my SD is only 20 BB. What do you think it should be at 30/60? 70BB?
Old 09-22-2004, 03:58 PM

Remember, his opponent raised 1st in from MP. He could be raising with a much wider range of hands than if he was in EP. That makes it especially important to 3-bet this PF. Also, given that, I think that betting the river is right as he will also call with any kind of hand, such as a lower PP. I think that you would be good most of the time here.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:04 PM

Why in the world would villain call with 33 here? I know 33 is the extreme case, but I would, in his position, check-fold any pair worse than sevens, eights, or nines, depending on how I was feeling at that particular moment.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:16 PM

Scary isn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Here is another small pair hand:
PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

MP1 mucks 66