Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Inside the Poker Mind vs. Psychology of Poker

I haven't read either, and I hear good things about both.

I'll probably end up reading both of 'em, but am just curious.

Are they similar? Is one better? or are they just addressing different topics?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2004, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Inside the Poker Mind vs. Psychology of Poker

They're adressing (slightly) different topics. ITPM is more like one of Mason's Essay collections, but with extra weight on the psychology part.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:29 AM

They are both good books, but they address different topics mostly. POP is a guide to understanding why you and your opponents play in a particular style, and how to change your style and attack theirs. It describes the fundamental psychological characteristics of poker styles, and what that means at the table. It's helpful and insightful, but requires a certain amount of honesty to gain much.

In my mind, IPM is a book to help you integrate the concepts and ideas you've learned by rote into your game. It should help make your play more fluid, and stimulate your thinking along critical paths. It also will turn you onto strategies for furthering your education and developement as a player.

I'd suggest that POP is required reading for beginner's and intermediate level players, whereas IPM is strictly for experienced intermediate's and above.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:41 PM

I haven't read Psychology of Poker, but I've read just about every other two plus two book and Inside the Poker Mind is one of my favorites.

I'd also agree with what one of the other posters said, i.e. that Inside the Poker Mind is not for beginners, but if you already have some playing experience/poker knowledge I think you will find it a valuable read.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's helpful and insightful, but requires a certain amount of honesty to gain much.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with POP you need to be honest with yourself about who you are. it is a great book and can help you identify the charachteristics (<--is this spelled right lol) of different player types. personalities, motivations for playing, and lots of other insightful info.

haven't read itpm yet but will soon
Old 09-27-2004, 12:09 PM

Slightly different approaches to the same subject. Read both. Also read Zen and the art of Poker, especially if you play tournament or have any tendency to tilt.

Doc