Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Don\'t think you slid it past us, Fossilman.....

I think Greg played fantastic. ESPN is not good aobut showing pot odds and Greg was getting good prices both times. Also, they don't show the hnad in between big showdowns. Greg was chopping really nicely to get that big chip lead. I was really impressed. Plus--he is a true gentleman. An incredible breath of fresh air at the table.

In the heads up match with Phil they missed a lot of hands as well. I went from a 2 to 1 chip deficit after the hand we we both had 333 to the lead by check raise blussinf him about 4 times in a row. That is what he was mumbling aobut after he lost. They just all of a sudden showed me with the lead when the K9 hand happened with no explanation of how I got it.

Be careful of how you jusge Raymer based on the hands ESPN depicted. He really was chopping a lot of pots and placing aggression really well. He totally deserves to be World Champion and based on his table demeanor I couldn't imagine many better representatives of poker than him.

Annie
Old 09-22-2004, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the heads up match with Phil they missed a lot of hands as well. I went from a 2 to 1 chip deficit after the hand we we both had 333 to the lead by check raise blussinf him about 4 times in a row. That is what he was mumbling aobut after he lost. They just all of a sudden showed me with the lead when the K9 hand happened with no explanation of how I got it.

Annie

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh.... K9s hand makes perfect sense now. Wish ESPN showed those hands. Meh. :/ You never see those nice little blind steals and flop steals that aren't called on TV (bread and butter of poker).

Nice job showing the nine there, think you got Phil that time (do you?), and either way, it was classic.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:56 AM

I think I got Phil a tad tilted ;-)

Annie
Old 09-22-2004, 12:59 AM

Hey Annie, any idea why your bro doesn't post here? Think you could get him to start?
Old 09-22-2004, 01:26 AM

Default actually, my name is far from femaleness...

[ QUOTE ]
ya, i guess the name lends itself to femaleness.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Des' is short for my first name DESTIN (as in Destiny or Destin, Florida). 'Dia' is short for my last name DIARRA, which is West African and means 'A Gift' or 'A Gift from GOD'(all praises to to the birthplace of civilization and the human race, baby).

and since we're on the subject of femaleness, i'm sure you, Sponger, and your ancestors can trace your family tree back to Africa and a BLACK WOMAN (Queen Mother Earth). say it loud, I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

oh BTW, good luck on building your BR back. why don't you come play a few $5 + $.50 SNGs on Stars. i'll keep the light on for ya.

DESTIN DIARRA- Desdia72
Old 09-22-2004, 01:45 AM

Default Spongie, LMFAO!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't you a chick?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing for a long time, with the name Desdia and all, but no, he is not a chick, genetically speaking. He has a girlfriend whom he constantly refers to (for bad poker advice).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponger, the next time you're sitting down drinking Millers with the good 'ole boys and sharing an introspective moment, tell them you just found out WHERE your family tree starts. then tell them that their family tree starts there too. i'm pretty sure this could result in some interesting conversation.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:00 AM

Default Re: actually, my name is far from femaleness...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ya, i guess the name lends itself to femaleness.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Des' is short for my first name DESTIN (as in Destiny or Destin, Florida). 'Dia' is short for my last name DIARRA, which is West African and means 'A Gift' or 'A Gift from GOD'(all praises to to the birthplace of civilization and the human race, baby).

[/ QUOTE ]

While I admire such a cultured name, it still sucks.

[ QUOTE ]
and since we're on the subject of femaleness, i'm sure you, Sponger, and your ancestors can trace your family tree back to Africa and a BLACK WOMAN (Queen Mother Earth). say it loud, I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I am black, from the waist down [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] **sigh**

[ QUOTE ]
oh BTW, good luck on building your BR back. why don't you come play a few $5 + $.50 SNGs on Stars. i'll keep the light on for ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww thanks for your care desdia, I've made $5k since returning to poker 2 months ago, heck with a 40% ROI at the $5's You could make that much in 2,000 SNGs! See ya in a couple years!

[ QUOTE ]
Sponger, the next time you're sitting down drinking Millers with the good 'ole boys and sharing an introspective moment, tell them you just found out WHERE your family tree starts. then tell them that their family tree starts there too. i'm pretty sure this could result in some interesting conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeehaw, I'm a country redneck, how'd you guess?? (laff)

And I don't drink millers, that [censored] tastes like, uh, [censored]. I just like their hats.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:11 AM

Annie,

A lot has been written about you (obviously, much of which is not positive) on RGP and to a lessor extent here on 2+2 but with posts like these and others my guess is a lot of us are developing a lot of respect. Congrats on your win!

~ Rick

PS Read your sister's book "Poker Face". Much of it hit home since I grew up around (not in) that prep school culture (in Newport, Rhode Island). Plus have a cousin who is married to a prep school wrestling coach/math instructor and who lived in prep school on campus housing for years (sort of like John Irving's "World According to Garp"). Wonder if you read it (Garp)?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:16 AM

>> In the heads up match with Phil they missed a lot of hands as well.

How long did you and Phil play heads up?

(The time compression required for TV does make for many peculiarities -- for example, it seemed strange that you had to call your brother by phone...according to the TV timeline, it seemed like he wouldn’t have had time to leave the building by the time you won...was almost wondering if there was a long break before heads-up started).
Old 09-22-2004, 06:46 AM

Could it possibly be that Annie had to put up with a lot of "expletives deleted" (I guess I'm dating myself) here? I know if my sister had been treated in the manner that Annie had been I'd have a lot of trouble forgiving and forgetting. I'd have difficulty being civil let alone doing anyone here a favor.