Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Weak Preflop costs so much $$$$$$$$

OK here is the situation. I have been at this table for about 2 hours and have a pretty tight image. The table is pretty loose and aggressive. I have AK suited and decide to not raise preflop because there is usually a raise i was planning on reraising of flat calling depending on player/size of bet.
The comments I would appreciate are looking at my post flop play, NOT PREFLOP PLAY, because it is obvious i let in too many people and it was incorrect.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed)

SB ($72)
BB ($100.50)
Hero ($193.75)
UTG+1 ($25.60)
UTG+2 ($333.15)
MP1 ($98)
MP2 ($278.61)
MP3 ($174)
CO ($193.30)
Button ($103.65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls $2, UTG+1 calls $2, UTG+2 calls $2, MP1 calls $2, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($12) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, UTG+1 calls $7, UTG+2 calls $7, MP1 calls $7, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($40) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $15, MP1 calls $15.

River: ($85) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, UTG+2 calls $40, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: $165

Villian reveals JQ of clubs for flush and takes it down
Old 09-21-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Weak Preflop costs so much $$$$$$$$

I'm really wondering what he was thinking flat calling the river... Was he that afraid of Ax clubs?

Anyway, I check-fold this flop. You've put a whopping 1BB into this hand. I know I've lost way more money than I should have with AA-JJ on monotone flops.

If you're going to play it, I think you played it fine. I'm kind of surprised he played it as passively as he did, since people absolutely love to play this hand with a naked Ac.

If it makes you feel better, QJc wasn't folding preflop.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:26 PM

Hell Im suprised you had a table image.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell Im suprised you had a table image.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's confusing "I've played few hands" with "I have a very tight table image" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2004, 11:29 PM

had played an hour and a half , do i need to play more........
Old 09-21-2004, 11:31 PM

Default Should be titled

Poor postflop play costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 09-22-2004, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Should be titled

thanks for the analysis
Old 09-22-2004, 02:31 AM

Wow I'm sorry you've gotten such shitty responses.

I don't think you can bet this flop. Now if you had raised some standard amount preflop, this line of play is absolutely fine. But for serious, all you have is top+pair top+kicker on a monotone flop. Imagine you had AT no clubs UTG and flop came T92 all clubs. Do you still lead first to act in this multiway pot? Do you fire again on the turn? Do you bet hard when you land aces-up on the river? You'd probably value bet the river, but probably not for as much. But I certainly don't think I would lead at a monotone flop with just top pair in an unraised pot.

I think the point is after you've fired the first bullet its hard to stop. But really you shouldn't have bet the flop -- that error is snowballing into more mistakes. You could have gotten into much uglier situations -- what if on the turn you hit another K, or A -- you bet and someone raises? What happens if another club comes? What happens if nothing comes, but someone makes a huge bet/raise? You are out of position -- all cards to come are going to make your decisions more and more sucky.

The ugly thing about monotone flops is that you dont know if you are actually charging a draw or paying a made hand off. If there are just two clubs on board, you know hands calling are still drawing.

The smooth calls all the way to the river is very strange. He seems unafraid of giving AcX free cards to draw ... has he played like this before? It's kind of goofy ...
Old 09-22-2004, 10:26 AM

Maybe villain saw our guy's hand and wanted to induce more beautiful money into the pot. It is a little weird but in his defense he does avoid getting stacked by the nut flush and also keeps the money comin from all utterly hopeless dead-drawing hands. At any rate, werent you the least bit concerned about a flush? Personally, Im not lovin my top pair no clubs on an all club flop out of position in a multi-way pot, as you're only getting a reasonable amount of action from hands youre crushed by.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:44 PM

If someone reraises me on the flop or on the turn I am willing and ready to lay it down obviously, but on the flop i think its safe to think (not assume) that I am ahead and bet it. WIth an apparetnly safe card on the turn my bet would be to try to get a Ac or Qc draw out. By the river I should have given it up and checked.....i think i got excited by hitting my A and then just bet it even though im only getting called most likely by a set/flush. Perhaps the only caller could be someone with weaker 2 pair perhaps Ac and had a pair on the flop.
B9