Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 10:02 PM

Default stud sng\'s

I just started dabbling around in stud and was wondering if stud sng's are worth the time. It seems like with the speed of the blinds going up they kind of turn in to a crap shoot hoping you don't get sucked out on. One suck out at 75/150 blinds usually sends me to the rail.

Thoughts?
Old 09-16-2004, 11:08 PM

Default Re: stud sng\'s

[ QUOTE ]
I just started dabbling around in stud and was wondering if stud sng's are worth the time. It seems like with the speed of the blinds going up they kind of turn in to a crap shoot hoping you don't get sucked out on. One suck out at 75/150 blinds usually sends me to the rail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three things most low-limit stud players do poorly:

steals and steal defense (these rarely happen in low-limit stud)

2-4 handed play (6-handed games are not much different than full games)

adjusting to changes in the ante structure

If you do those things well, and play tight on the early levels and let other people knock each other out, then you should have a significant edge in stud SNGs. All SNGs reach a semi-crapshoot phase once the blinds/antes get high - some differences in stud that make the skill factor higher than in limit holdem or Omaha-8 are that the upcards give you partial information that make your steals more accurate, real hands destroy trash hands heads-up in stud, unlike in holdem or Omaha.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:35 AM

In Stud SNGs you also have to factor in the fact that you will be in the money after 5 people are eliminated. Holdem and Omaha need 7 to be eliminated. There is a little bit less money to be won overall in stud SNGs though, because less buy in money. Playing tight early on, should lead to a good percentage of in the money finishes. Once you get there, if you have not built up your stack big enough compared to your final opponents, you just have to loosen up and double up. Hopefully if your opponents have been paying attention at all, you will be able to accomplish some steals, buy suddenly raising the bring-in, after playing tight throughtout most of the SNG.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:24 PM

from my experience, if you're a decent stud player you should be able to beat stud sng's for a good ROI, espeically on Party.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:23 PM

They are quite easy, just be prepared for some variance. Such as people calling you down all the way against your obvious trips and folding on the river, or raising their miracle 4 outer boat. That always hurts, but whatever.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:04 PM

Above post is a giant consideration
Stud had high variance due to the luck factor . Tourneys amplify this . single table S&G with skyrocketing Antes amplify this even more.

remember it is about making sound decisions all the time.

Apply concepts learned as well as those in contained within
Tourney poker FAP's

and hold on to your hat!!

timmer
Old 09-21-2004, 06:44 PM

Yeah, I think I've busted out of my last 8, only 3 with obvious bad play.