Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Any not *need* a job but *want* a job?

Hello, a little background...

I'm in my mid-20's, and through a confluence of events, poker's gone from a profitable hobby to a primary source of income. Being young and having no real responsibilities, I'm making more than enough to live on and save for the future. Onwards...

I'm going back to school no later than next Fall, partly because I want to, and partly because having a B.A. (and then later, an advanced degree) is requisite for what I want to do in life.

So, my point is that I'm thinking about getting a day job til I go back. It seems futile, given than I make appreciably more playing online than I could make in an office at this stage in my life, but the lack of a schedule is killing me. Sleeping til 1 p.m. lost its luster, for sure. Not being really excited meeting up with friends at a bar on Friday because it wasn't the end of my school/work week kinda sucks, too. I feel like The Dude: "Uhh, what day is it?"

Any advice on getting a (crappy) job or my thinking in general is appreciated.

Dan
Old 09-20-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Any not *need* a job but *want* a job?

It seems to me you are in a perfect position for volunteer work. If you are making more than enough that is the perfect place from which to give back. You can find any number of volunteer positions that work on a schedule. It comes with its own reward, one which you do not often get from a 'crappy' job. It isn't how most people spend their free time and it is certainly not the most common suggestion but I believe most people find it more than rewardable when they give it a shot.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going back to school no later than next Fall, partly because I want to, and partly because having a B.A. (and then later, an advanced degree) is requisite for what I want to do in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't mind: what is that? This may help you find a less crappy job, or even a volunteer opportunity that will actually improve your resume for whatever you want to do later.

-X
Old 09-20-2004, 07:38 PM

ROFL (Rolling On the Floor Laughing)

My girlfriend offten acuses me of being "The dude", then she imitates "Job?"

Welpers, if the money is better on the poker table, I just can't understand grinding away at a real job. Honestly I never had a job I liked better then sitting my butt all day playing poker. Sometimes it's stressfull, and somtimes it's a grind, but never worse then any real job I've ever had.

If you want structure, then why not set a schedule for your self. This would be more consistant with a student life any how As a student you have to be self modivated, and work when there's no boss standing behind you.

Also, think about how well poker works with being a student. Like, you can play poker when you have time, and not allways having to balance 2 schedules.

If you're interested in a prop job, we need players who want to play at 7 am PST. You get .15 at 3/6, .18 at 4/8, .20 at 5/10, and .25 at 10/20, all per hand. Then you could pretend that you have a real job that you have to set your allarm clock for.

If you're inerested e-mail me : aeon_blues@freakradio.org

AeonBlues
Old 09-20-2004, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Welpers, if the money is better on the poker table, I just can't understand grinding away at a real job.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Cause some people have a tendancy to like to have a sense of doing something of value with their lives.

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly I never had a job I liked better then sitting my butt all day playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pityful. I'm very sorry to hear that.

As to the origional poster -- what do you want to do with your life? Maybe if you tell us what your goals are we can give you some advice.

On the flip side ... being young and not having many debts or responsibilities . . now is a perfect time to do something really odd and unique. Go have an adventure.

You can do anything from being a merchant marine and seaing some pretty wild foreign ports for a few months to working a soup kitchen .. to ... well .. whatever ... the only limits are your desires.

So ... what do you want to do? What adventures have you always dreamed of having? Now's the time to take your shot. Pack your bags and do something wild! Once you have debts and a family the chance is gone . . . so who do you want to be?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:12 AM

I agree with the suggestions of volunteer work, they will build your resumé in a way naff jobs won't.

I also wanted to draw jovial attention to the quote:

[ QUOTE ]
joining the merchant marine and seaing some pretty wild foreign ports

[/ QUOTE ]

A typo that actually improves the sentence. I like!

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 09-21-2004, 08:25 AM

So what your saying is that you cant be content without an outside agency controling your space and time.

The freedom granted by poker as a source of income should be grasped with both hands not avoided.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:02 PM

I totally agree. Go to Thailand, Costa Rica, or somewhere else cheap and have a ball while you can. I did this for 7 months in 2001 and never regretted the experiences I've had and perspectives I've gained. The world's huge - get out of the office while you can!

In addition, it also looks good on the resume...travelling says: risktaker, confident, and well rounded. My travels helped me get my current job.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:23 PM

ROFL (Rolling On the Floor Laughing)

thanks for the clarification
Old 09-21-2004, 04:56 PM

And the true joy that comes with earning money by contributing something of value is also something that should be grasped with both hands.

Freedom is nice, but some people have a more well developed social ethic.

*shrug*