Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Do you defend your blind with ATo?

$100 NL on Party. Blinds are 50/100. EP (613) limps. MP(3972) raises to 200. LP(1434) cold calls the 200. Folded to me in the BB. I have 2463 and ATo. DO you defend?

In a ring game I would defend my blind here, but I play my blinds much more cautiously in tournaments. I was a little afraid of the short stacked EP pushing in for the rest of his stack, and a lot afraid of the bigger ace. But it got me wonderinghow good a hand you need to defend in these situations. Of course both an Ace and a Ten flopped, the EP guy bet out and won it uncalled.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Do you defend your blind with ATo?

no way. what kind of flop do you want?
Old 09-20-2004, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no way. what kind of flop do you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is safe to assume that he folded pre-flop.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:14 AM

I would also fold for the reason stated - afraid of the EP limper pushing.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:24 AM

Why couldn't you have been my BB in yesterday's Stars $215????
Got busted by the BB who called in this situation on the bubble. (See $215 Stars thread).
Old 09-20-2004, 10:44 AM

I probably defend here, I am just getting too good a price on t100 more. If I think the EP shortstack is going to push, I'd muck, so ultimately it would come down to a read on EP.

Play after the flop is only really tricky if you hit 2p (well, AA on the flop could corn hole you too). If you catch 1p or less and see any action, oh well. On the times you catch a monster, you stand to make a lot.

EP could well have a huge hand (wth else would he limp with 6BB, oh wait, it's party, so who knows). MP's mini raise seems odd. I would not think it is strong. If he has a big hand, why encourage a multi-way pot with such a small raise (while still giving away information by raising). Again, read dependant, but that strikes me as weak. LP's call also seems weak. It looks like he want's to see a cheap flop.

If MP did not have so many chips, I think there would be merit to pushing here. As it is, I probably call the 100. What I do if EP pushes depends. (Again, if I suspect EP is going to push I fold. That mini raise by MP just has me scratching my head. I'd love to know what he had, because his play just seems bad.)
Old 09-20-2004, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$100 NL on Party. Blinds are 50/100. EP (613) limps. MP(3972) raises to 200. LP(1434) cold calls the 200. Folded to me in the BB. I have 2463 and ATo. DO you defend?

[/ QUOTE ]

For only 4% of your stack it looks very tempting. Take it cautions if you hit top pair.

[ QUOTE ]
In a ring game I would defend my blind here, but I play my blinds much more cautiously in tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this kind argument is consistently abused. If a play is right in a cash game, then it has to be at worse borderline in a tournament, with the obvious exception of Satellites and possibly the final table.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:35 PM

I've used this minraise tactic to get people caught in between me and a small stack that I assumed would push. It goes like this:

Small stack has limped into a bunch of pots and folded on the flop. His stack is getting very small. He's in EP and limps, I find aces or kings. I minraise to get a caller or two in between me and the short stack who I suspect will reraise all in. Then I push over the top of him. Usually that narrows it down to heads up, or sometimes 3 to the flop.

I handle this like limping UTG with aces or kings, where if it works you get that many extra chips when your hand stands up, and if it doesn't then you play carefully if you end up seeing the flop with many players.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:53 PM

I call this –it’s only T100, and you’re getting 7.5 to 1 on your money. If EP pushes and its folded you can call getting 2:1, and if he pushs and gets another caller or two you can fold, no harm done for 100 chips.

If its still early-middle in the tourney, then you want to play your ring game, don’t you? Why do you tighten up a lot more? FYI, pokertracker says the SB (and CO) are my most profitable position in tourneys, after the button. I think its largely because I can see lots of relatively cheap flops, like this one might be.

Either EP has a monster, and wants more money in, or he has a reasonable hand and is likely trying for a stopngo. If he pushes now he knows he’s called, so, its still reasonably likely he’ll flatcall. I’d be more concerned about MP and his goofy minraise, but for T100 you could bust him.

Just my 2 cents, as I’m usually looking to *you* to help *me* play better.

--Greg
Old 09-20-2004, 03:23 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

In a ring game I would defend my blind here, but I play my blinds much more cautiously in tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is not a good reason to fold

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I was a little afraid of the short stacked EP pushing in for the rest of his stack .

[/ QUOTE ]
That is very good reason to fold .

- jpp