Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 01:19 AM

Default What is too risky??? What is too tight???

I've been a sporadic long time reader but I rarely post. But, I need help, and I can't think of a better place. I've become addicted to the MTT...mostly 50 and under, unless I win a seat, which I am 2/2 lately. I've played in roughly 200 tournies...and made in $ about 25% of the time, with 10 FT...2 firsts (chopped) and a 2nd for 3k being my best. I think I must be doing something right. The problem is I think I am too tight...I almost always get my chips in when I am a huge favorite...but not being able to make "moves" resutlts in a short stack the majority of time. How frequently do you think its necessary to make wild moves in mtts?

I realize the answer to all poker questions, particularly NL tournament questions, begins with "it depends."
This question is no exception, but I curious as to how the most advanced tournament players out there will answer this question. Do you believe that, in general (unless you are getting fantastic cards, situations), you MUST make several balsy moves throughout most MTT to do well? What is "balsy?" Tough to answer...but I see things all the time...like tonight a guy comes over the top ai with his pocket 66 and beats the raisers 55. Now...I realize every situation is different...perhaps the 66 player had a good read on the other guy. In any case, it must have been scary. I don't know if I could make such a play. I'd appreciate any advice you call could provide.