Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2004, 08:07 AM

Default All-in With Multiple Callers

here's the situation...

on player goes all in preflop, and two (or more) players call that all in... the callers have additional stacks with which to play with...

i was a caller in one incident, and the other caller wanted to agree to just check through and run the board... i said no, and ended up with a nice little straight and flush draw on the turn... i raised big, and the other all-in caller folded... i didn't hit, and the player that went all in beat me...

the other caller that had folded got all upset because he would have won the hand... and he wasn't upset necessarily because he didn't drag the pot, but because we hadn't eliminated a player from the SnG tourney...

he then began to say how this situation demonstrates why it should have just been checked through...

any thoughts on this? do you agree that you should check through after multiple callers of a PF all in to increase the odds of eliminating a player?
Old 09-19-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: All-in With Multiple Callers

was this a tournament?
Old 09-19-2004, 02:08 PM

Sounds like collusion to me.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:12 PM

I think its fairly standard practice to not bet when there is someone all in unless you actually have a hand. Bluffing at a pot which has no side pot is really a stupid thing to do because all you do is increase the all in's chance of winning
Old 09-19-2004, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its fairly standard practice to not bet when there is someone all in unless you actually have a hand. Bluffing at a pot which has no side pot is really a stupid thing to do because all you do is increase the all in's chance of winning

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting and getting the other player to fold increases your chances of winning the pot. Not that stupid.

In a satellite you should be more inclined to check it down. In a SNG, most people check it down way too often, like when there are 6 people left. The only time you should consider doing it in a SNG is on the bubble, and even then it's often correct to bet the other player out to increase your equity.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:18 AM

Poker is not a team sport. Ever. If it's too your advantage to bet when someone is all in. Do it. Yeah, it annoys the players that are out, but they have <font color="blue"> no</font> say.

Now you do have to decide if it's just your short term advantage or your long term advantage. I honestly don't know the answer to this.

"Anyone with a chip and a chair is dangerous" - Slansky, et al.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:17 AM

ok, well would the situation change if i hit middle pair ont he flop with a high kicker and it's checked to you...

also, what about if you flop top two pair but there's two cards to a flush in the community... and the all-in player is on the bubble... what then? do you allow the other guy to potentially draw to a flush, even if it's low, or do you try to muscle him out?

i'm just trying to figure out when you might want to actually check it down instead of continue to play the hand?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:56 AM

The only place I could see it is at the final table with 3 players left and you are the massive chip leader, so that the extra chips the other large stack wins won't threaten you much.

Otherwise, especially in the situations you described, middle pair, flush draw on board, I definitely want him out of my pot. Why give him a free chance to get lucky when you will both benefit the same from eliminating this other player?

BTW, everyone left in the tourney benefits as much you do when someone is eliminated. Don't go out of your way to eliminate players early in the tourney.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:28 PM

Here is an article by Daniel Negreanu where he talks all about this situation. In the second part he gives situations and a quiz for when you should check down and when you shouldn't. Interesting stuff.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:40 PM

I don't know much about tournament play, so not commenting on or questioning the strategy question.

But if two players discuss (or as in this case, one player tries to discuss- I realize OP did not go for it), how to play a current hand, especaially in order to team up against a third player, isn't that wrong, cheating, automatically?

This post is to the thread in general, not to the last poster in particular.