Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 02:06 AM

Default KTs - eh, do i suck?

Very loose. Thats all i know, no real reads on these guys.
Comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-TheSanch

Ultimate Bet 0.01/0.02 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.01.
UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB (poster) calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (24.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 28.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 28.50 BB, between UTG, MP1, Hero and BB.</font>
Old 09-18-2004, 02:27 AM

Default Re: KTs - eh, do i suck?

Flop raise is fine. An overcard, a gutshot, and a backdoor flush draw is nice holding, and you want to clean up your outs (that is, making K6 fold would be pretty nice).

The turn raise is reckless and the river call is idiotic.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop raise is fine. An overcard, a gutshot, and a backdoor flush draw is nice holding, and you want to clean up your outs (that is, making K6 fold would be pretty nice).

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be nice, but rarely happens at this level.

[ QUOTE ]

The turn raise is reckless and the river call is idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok... but that doesn't really help me. Why is it reckless and why is the river call idiotic?
Old 09-18-2004, 02:37 AM

You're not going to complete your draw enough for your raise to be a value one. Especially since you'll just get 3-bet.

What do you have on the river? A pair of sevens. You have nothing. You're not winning this hand. Fold.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:56 AM

How is the SB also a poster? Shouldn't he always be a poster? Shouldn't the converter therefore ignore him? Is it just acting stupid because it can't believe anyone even plays .01/.02? Bison, what is going on here?

Preflop: Okay.

Flop: Flop raise is ok, hoping for a free card, not hoping to clean up outs. Let's just be clear on that.

Turn: "Never raise with a come hand when the board is paired." Or something like that. Somebody relatively well known said that, his name escapes me at the moment.

Seriously, no value in this raise.

River: The fact that you called this river makes me seriously question whether you are in a frame of mind to play poker profitably. I guess you thought BB was betting out with Q high, and those other two were also calling with Q high just to keep him honest? You will not win this pot the one time out of 27 you need to for this call to be correct. You will not win it one time out of one hundred.

NT
Old 09-18-2004, 03:09 AM

If you need to ask why the river overcall to three other players was idiotic, you need to seriously look at your game. Or move up in limits, where such loose calls will put a crimp in your bankroll and make you take a little more seriously the money you're playing with.

You have zero chance of winning this hand. Call the turn bet. Fold the river unimproved. Sounds like your read on the table is very applicable to your own game. If I won this hand and saw what you were playing/betting/raising with, I'd sit down with you every chance I could.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:47 AM

Your asking the wrong question here... forget why its reckless and ask yourself why did you do it? When your finger hit that mouse button while positioned over the raise button what made you push down? Understand what your purpose for your actions is and it will be unnecessary to explain why raising on a complete draw against a bettor who has shown nothing but strength and 2 other callers is bad.

Did you raise because you thought you had the best hand? I hope not, we can discard this one. Did you raise because the value of your draws was returning a positive expectation on every bet you made? This is a bit closer but the answer is no you were not receiving this positive expectation in this case. Did you raise because you had two big cards and a draw and didn't think about the previous action? I think this is likely and the solution is to consider WHY, always WHY are you doing whatever it is that you are doing?

As others have mentioned (though somewhat harshly) the reason the river call is poor should be simple. What hands can you put your three opponents on? One has bet and raised at every opportunity. The other two have called the whole way, including on the river, when they cannot possibly still be drawing as no more cards are coming to save them. Why are you risking 1 big bet in this situation? Do you feel you have an opportunity to win the pot? If you do, you are saying "all my opponents have Queen high or worse". Do you believe this to be true? The question isn't whether its possible they all have queen high or worse, of course anything is possible. The question is do they all have queen high or worse greater than 1 time in 27, as those are the odds you are getting to make this call. I would be happy to bet the odds of them all holding queen high or worse is on the far side of 1 in 1,000.

You are learning and can ask as many questions as you want, thats what the forum is for, but you can answer these by thinking logically and mathematically, two skills I know you are good at.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-18-2004, 05:18 AM

How do you play .01/.02,? what is the small blind, $0.005?
Old 09-18-2004, 05:26 AM

Default Re: KTs - eh, do i suck? - Yes I do.

To answer my own question, I do suck.

The words of Gatts explain prefectly my Flop raise, "An overcard, a gutshot, and a backdoor flush draw is nice holding"

Why did I raise the Turn?
-to be honest I didn't even notice the board was paired. All I saw was a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Why the call on the River?
I can't remember why.

I know this play was bad, that is why I posted it. I have usually 2 or 3 of these hands a session, just because I'm not devoting 100% attention to the game. I know i make mistakes, and this was one of them.

in short - I suck.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you play .01/.02,? what is the small blind, $0.005?

[/ QUOTE ]

no its just .01 as is the BB