Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Is this terrible play?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

At this point I am trying to take over this hand - I figure if I want to draw to my straight, I should appear as aggressive as I can so he will not try to continue to raise me - I'm setting myself up for a value bet on the turn, and hoping to minimize the chance that he will raise - is this faulty logic?

Turn: (5.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.25 BB, between Button and Hero.</font>

Results in White:

<font color="white">seafooddiet balance $26, didn't bet (folded)
BlueSabre balance $22, lost $0.50 (folded)
SquareChip balance $44, lost $0.50 (folded)
A_BaDDaD balance $93.75, didn't bet (folded)
streamlinecc balance $30.25, didn't bet (folded)
leo29 balance $21.50, lost $6 [ 7c Tc ] [ two pairs, tens and sevens -- Ad,Tc,Th,7c,7d ]
IBluff78 balance $20.50, lost $0.25 (folded)
Ajax410 balance $31.50, bet $6, collected $12.50, net +$6.50 [ 3c 8d ] [ a straight, six to ten -- Th,9c,8d,7d,6h ]
heatherk1095 balance $39.92, didn't bet (folded)
go_player balance $30.75, sits out </font>
Old 09-17-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Is this terrible play?

I don't know how you consider a turn bet a value bet. You are heads up. The odds of hitting your straight are 4.5-1 against. You'd need 5 people to call your bet on the turn for it to be a value bet. You might still bet the turn, but it would be as a semi-bluff if you thought you could get your opponent to fold, which is clearly not going to happen on this hand after the action on the flop.

After getting raised on the flop, you should try and get to the river as cheaply as possible. You don't have position so you're not going to be able to buy a free card. Check-call the turn because you don't want to get raised. If you're lucky, he'll check behind.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:12 PM

I would just call the flop raise. It's now heads-up so you're not getting any value in your raise. You're behind to any pair. So now instead of doing the betting, you should be doing the calling.

[ QUOTE ]
At this point I am trying to take over this hand - I figure if I want to draw to my straight, I should appear as aggressive as I can so he will not try to continue to raise me - I'm setting myself up for a value bet on the turn, and hoping to minimize the chance that he will raise - is this faulty logic?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a value bet. Against T7o you're a 4:1 dog, against 72o you're a 3:1 dog, against JTo you're a 5.5:1 dog.

It doesn't really matter if you're in control of the betting here because this player isn't folding any hand he would've raised the flop with. Your betting may make him only call, but not fold, and since you're behind you're only costing yourself money. You'd much rather get a free card.

The river is fine.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:33 PM

I would check-call the turn.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:25 PM

Call the flop raise, check-call the turn, then check-raise the river. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob