Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Need help with a science project topic.

Pockertracker.

Hypothesis 1: The fewer hands one plays preflop, the better one does at limit poker.

Hypothesis #2: The more one raises the better one does at limit poker.

Hypothesis #3 (optional): Hypothesis 1 and 2 are more significant / important the higher the limits go. Or, tighter and more aggressive play has higher rewards in higher limits (presumably because there are more skilled players).

Independent variable #1: preflop % of hands played

Independent variable #2: % time raising on flop when putting money in on flop (or can do for turn - don't average because it gets into other problems that'll just hurt you).

Dependent variable: financial success. Over the course of 1,000 hands, a reasonable if small statistical sample, you can test whether your dependent variable correlates to either of your independent variables.

Control: Sample of separate same-sized pool of similar randomly selected players, for which you measure average success. You now have a good measure of what is average. (Average should be a loss consistent with the rake.)

PM me if you need anything else.

Matt
Old 09-17-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Need help with a science project topic.

i figured out everything that i am going to do. i am going to play 50 hours of .2/.4 and 50 hours of .5/.10 and then compare the notes i take on them and the pokertracker data to figure out which one is easier and which one is more profitable.

if i find in my first 3 or so hours that the .2/.4 is either a. too easy so i cant really make a complex study about it or b. they are maniacs and are too random than i will move to .5/.10 and .25/.5 maybe.

i talked with my science teacher and he was confused but he said it was ok to do.

thank you for all of your suggestions and help and i will definintly be doing those other projects later in the year or years.