Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Standard with top two?

$20-40 Commerce. Loose preflop but tighter postflop.
I'm dealt T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in CO.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, I call, button calls, BB checks.
Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, I raise, button calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 now 3-bets, MP3 folds, I 4-bet, button now caps, all call.
Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Checked to me and I bet, button raises, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls ALL-IN, I call.
River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG+1 checks, I check, button checks.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Standard with top two?

Seems standard, although I might slow down a bit on the flop. I'm not sure I like 4 betting here,

The action on the flop is pretty nutty.

I expect to see JQ, a set of 2's or 10's and maybe an overpair of jacks.

I really want to see what was going on here, but I can't feel good about 2 pair after this action.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:53 PM

You mis-posted the flop action. There is a 4-bet cap. I think you must have just called the 3-bet.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:20 PM

You should raise preflop. Buy the button, build a huge pot, and punish those limpers.

Capping the flop is a gimmie. However, the cap at Commerce is 4 bets, so I don't know who capped it.

The turn action was fine.

River was a bad card, indeed. Looks like you may have won anyway.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:21 PM

I like the 4-bet play here. You're not laying this hand down so why not make the table pay you off. If you're into a set then you have some outs. The raise on the turn should freak you out some, although perhaps he has you at A-10 and has an overpair if he's nutty aggressive. A check on the turn could be too dangerous to give away. Also, you may be up against a monsterous draw. So I like turn bet, river check.

That's a hand you have to hold your balls and play it out. Results?

Overall, good play. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2004, 08:47 PM

I like it a lot! I see others saying to slow down a bit with all the flop action, but I completely disagree. When the flop is 9T high with a two flush, there are an insane number of draws out there. That flop can hit a lot of people very hard. For example, a guy with KJs could have overcards, a gutshot and a flush draw (not to mention the straight flush possibility). That's a pretty extreme case, but with the possiblity of straight draws, flush draws and overcards, it's easy for someone who is drawing against you to like this flop. The only hands currently ahead of you are 22, TT and 99. There is only one combination of each of the latter two available. A lot of people wouldn't limp with 22. So it's much more likely that the action indicates draws than better hands. Of course, something like a open-end straight flush draw is about even money with you here, but with all the people coming along for the ride, you are heavily +ev on this flop and you want to jam. I don't like waiting until the turn because even though you'll be much further ahead there than now if a blank hits, they will be much less likely to want to jam with you there.

On the turn, I like betting out because you shouldn't be convinced that you don't have the best hand, especially since that card couldn't have helped anyone (famous last words [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). However, once you are raised, you were right to finally slow down. It's unlikely that he is trying to push a draw still since he can't expect to buy the pot agaisnt this many people, one of whom is almost all in. And betting into him on the river definitley feels wrong, since even if he didn't have you beat alright, that card might have gotten him there, or the other player may have gotten there and is trying to check-raise.

I think you played this perfectly.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:07 PM

Against most opponents I would 3-bet the turn.

Rest is good.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:25 PM

Default Results

Yeah, I did make a 5-bet misprint. I'm too used to playing at Bellagio. Regardless, UTG had QJo, the button had 22 for the set, and the MP1 had Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the rivered flush. Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:10 AM

BRUTAL