Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 10:17 AM

Default SOP or FPS? OMG LOL WTF

I think I use this play too much, the ol' call flop raise to check raise turn. On this scary board, with this mildly frightening turn card, should I have just bet out on the turn? 3-bet the flop.

Oh yeah, CO is an uber-fish. He bets and raises for unknown reasons.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
Old 09-16-2004, 10:22 AM

Default Re: SOP or FPS? OMG LOL WTF

I just 3 bet the flop and lead the turn, blind steals tend to go for the free card way to often.

The Td on the turn wouldnt change my plan to checkraise if thast what I had decided to do. Its not that scary a card
Old 09-16-2004, 10:27 AM

good point, i didn't even put him on a blind steal, i just thought he was being fishy as usual. As I was playing the hand, I was almost positive he would bet if checked to on the turn, I don't think I had seen him check behind once since I sat down. I still think I should have probably led the turn though.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think I should have probably led the turn though.

[/ QUOTE ]

given your read......why?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:34 AM

Because I hadn't been at the table long enough to have that strong of a read on him, and I would have been sick if he would have checked behind. He was a fish, but not a super LAG maniac. However, given that I just called his flop raise, I think c/r'ing the turn was the correct play, I just wonder if I should have just 3-bet the flop.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:34 AM

You seem to know this guy pretty well. If you expect him to bet the turn, then going for the turn check raise is perfectly fine.

Some guys always follow through on the turn, some are more apt to take that free card.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:36 AM

I think I three bet the flop and lead the turn, I suspect he actually has the Ace by the way the hand played but I would rather play straightforward poker in this situation. Getting tricky against unpredictable opponents to me is to be avoided.