Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 01:51 AM

Default omaha hi/lo hand question

Early in tournament, blinds are low, so stack sizes are unimportant. I've got KK66 rainbow in MP. Not a great hand, but decided to limp in anyways. Flop is 99T.

UTG bets and then there's a raise before me. What do I do?

Because of the raise, I assume there's at least one 9 out there. I know both are possible, but it's very rare, so I don't generally expect it.

Is it worth it for me to chase and try to hit a K for the flush, or should I just fold?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:23 AM

Default Re: omaha hi/lo hand question

You didn't specify whether this tournament is limit or pot-limit. I would never play this preflop in limit, and I may play it in pot-limit with good position and lots of limpers due to good implied odds if I hit a set.

In an early stage of tournamnet, super solid and super tight is the way to go and it's a definite fold on the flop. (assuming you're playing limit or pot-limit)
Old 09-16-2004, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't specify whether this tournament is limit or pot-limit. I would never play this preflop in limit, and I may play it in pot-limit with good position and lots of limpers due to good implied odds if I hit a set.

In an early stage of tournamnet, super solid and super tight is the way to go and it's a definite fold on the flop. (assuming you're playing limit or pot-limit)

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree... one raise and i'd probably call (as i'm sure you would too) in a limit game as it's controllable. But the raise and reraise in this situation make it a necessary laydown IMO.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unformed - Especially considering the betting, one of your opponents could have a full house already - or even quad nines. I wouldn't worry much about the possibility of quad nines - but you do have to presume the opponent who raised will have at least nines full on the river. And that means if you make a full house with your sixes, there's too strong a possibility it will be a losing full house to draw to it.

Therefore, the only draw you have is to a king boat.

The odds are 43 to 2 against the turn card being a king. And that means in order for you to have favorable odds to call 2 small bets here, the pot size at the showdown would have to come to be 43 small bets (exclusive of what you would henceforth add to it) in the event the turn card was a king.

Although it's not clear how much is already in the pot and also not clear how many opponents are yet to act, there is no realistic way for the pot to become that large by the river.

(Pots after a flop with a pair and no low cards are usually relatively small).

This is very clearly a situation where you simply do not have favorable odds to call - not in a tournament, not in a ring game, not anywhere.

If your hand was A-A-K-K, instead of 6-6-K-K, and if there had been a pre-flop raise seen by five opponents, you would face a more difficult decision.

The way things are, your implied pot odds are less than half of what they should be to justify a call. Bizarre things sometimes happen, but don't look for one here.

Fold.

Buzz
Old 09-16-2004, 09:45 AM

alright, so i played it correctly, even though it sucks.

it was limit, i knew i shouldn't play it preflop, but for some reason, i felt like playing it anyways.

I folded on the flop to the bet/raise.

Both ended up splitting the pot with nothing more than a set of nines. Of course, a king came up on the turn.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i knew i shouldn't play it preflop, but for some reason, i felt like playing it anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we all know that feeling!
Old 09-17-2004, 12:44 PM

Back when I first started playing Omaha/8 I used to play many 2 pair starting hands. My thinking was that I had twice the chance to hit a set compared to a pocket pair in Hold'em. Eventually I learned that hitting a set in Omaha is not nearly as strong as hitting a set in Hold'em.

If you make a set of 8's or smaller you may only be playing for half the pot. It is too easy for opponents to make straights and flushes. You are not going to be confident in your hand unless your set turns into quads or the nut full house.

Now I lay down most 2 pair starting hands without giving it a second thought.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:33 PM

yah the only time i play "two pair" hands now are ace and a wheel card, or two pair over 9. the first one is obviously because i can make a set (although now counterfieted) or a wheel for the low. the second is because if i hit a set or a straight, there will most likely be no low. a hand like k-k-6-6 is only playable if you get a k or a 6 on the flop and 2 other cards that dont play well with k or a 6.

in the end, this decision is made alot easier when you fold before you face a flop.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it worth it for me to chase and try to hit a K for the flush, or should I just fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can make a flush with a third king here, you're a better player than I am.

Seriously, though, Buzz and the others are right...you should fold.

-- M. Ruff
Old 09-28-2004, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Early in tournament, blinds are low, so stack sizes are unimportant. I've got KK66 rainbow in MP. Not a great hand, but decided to limp in anyways. Flop is 99T.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a trick question? You have 2 outs facing a bet and a raise. Easy fold.