Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Triple Draw Lowball 2-7: Pitching a 6?

You're dealt 7-6-3-2-x. Do you toss the 6?

What if you're dealt 7-6-4-3-x?

If you are dealt 7-6-5-x-x, is that a fold? What about 7-6-2-x-x?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Triple Draw Lowball 2-7: Pitching a 6?

#1. if you're pitching the 6 you're playing the wrong game, because if you're in a triple draw game that tough don't play.
#2 is tough, I have drawing to the couple of dueces left in the deck and all.
#3 I play more or less all 2 +2 more cards under 7 combos preflop. I tend to muck 765 unless I'm stealing or defending, but it requires luck and skill to play it right.

I'm not a triple draw boss by any stretch either, just played a little here and there.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:10 PM

I have seen this game in UltimateBet, is there other places to play?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're dealt 7-6-3-2-x. Do you toss the 6?

[/ QUOTE ]

In limit triple draw, never. In a deep money no-limit game when you're out of position, maybe.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is much weaker than it looks. You're only drawing to a deuce basically. If you can get in for one bet in limit triple draw against multiple opponents who will pay you off, you might draw once. Pitching the six doesn't help anything - if you draw a five you're essentially in the same situation.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are dealt 7-6-5-x-x, is that a fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

In no-limit, yes. In limit, you might draw to it in position against weak opponents.

[ QUOTE ]
What about 7-6-2-x-x?

[/ QUOTE ]

In limit that's a good hand and worth drawing to. In no-limit it's a fold out of position in tough games with deep money, but in late position for a minimum bet against predictable opponents it's definitely worth a shot. For situations in between those descriptions you have to use your judgment.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:01 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Very helpful. One question, though:

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is much weaker than it looks. You're only drawing to a deuce basically. If you can get in for one bet in limit triple draw against multiple opponents who will pay you off, you might draw once. Pitching the six doesn't help anything - if you draw a five you're essentially in the same situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you have 7-5-4-3-x? You're clearly playing this, even though you're drawing to a deuce. I can't see this being a fold, and drawing to the second-nut hand (as above) probably shouldn't be either, right?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:32 PM

What if you have 7-5-4-3-x? You're clearly playing this, even though you're drawing to a deuce. I can't see this being a fold, and drawing to the second-nut hand (as above) probably shouldn't be either, right?

I think you may be looking at what you get if you hit, rather than the road you must take getting there. The reasons 2-7 is good game is that it traps people accustomed to playing A-5. A person drawing to an A234 in California lowball has 4 outs to a wheel and four outs to a 6. A person drawing to a 7543 in 2-7 has four outs to a wheel-equivalent (the 2), but is drawing dead for a 6-equivalent (the 6) because his outs straighten him. I'm sure you know this already, but it underscores why 2-7 triple-draw is a position game.

I would prefer to be on the button with almost anything, playing against someone drawing to a 7543. If he catches two bricks and has to draw on the third round, I know exactly where I stand: I know how many cards will pair him and know how many will high-card him.

Conversely, if I am playing up front with four cards containing a 2 and a 7, then I can draw 8 cards that give me a 7 and 4 more give me an 8. This presents me more of an opportunity to rap pat by the third round, which in turn cuts off information about my hand and forces the person behind me to make a decision about the relative value of his own holding.

You don't say whether you are playing limit, PL, or NL, but so much of triple-draw is about position and forcing your opponents to make decisions.

jmho

Mack