Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Middle/Bottom pair with a multi-way checked flop and turn...

Hello all. I don't see many posts discussing this but it seems to happen a few times every session. I don't have my hand history with me but the basic reconstruction is:

<ul type="square">[*]I get 85o in the BB[*]4 players see an unraised pot[*]the flop is all rags or one high card with a 5 and is checked around[*]the turn is a rag and is checked around[*]the river is a rag and the action is on me with 2BB in the pot[/list]I usually just check through for what turns out to be a free showdown. Any thoughts?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Middle/Bottom pair with a multi-way checked flop and turn...

After the flop was checked around, I would almost automatically bet out on the turn. You can probably pick up the pot right there. People may even think you whiffed on a C/R on the flop, and be glad they escaped your trap. You might even get them to fold a 5 with a better kicker, and you'll probably get people on gut-shot draws and overcard draws to fold (or call incorrectly). If you get raised, it's an easy hand to get away from.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:35 PM

I make a ton of bets on hands like this by simply taking the lead. Give your opponents an opportunity to fold. You don't want to showdown what is probably bottom pair or close to it. If your lead gets raised, that's good too. It tells you your hand is clearly worthless, and you can muck with satisfaction. If you get callers on the flop, bet the turn. Junk callers will often play for a SB, but aren't willing to pay a BB with unimproved junk on a smallish pot.

I love the BB Special!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:37 PM

I like this play too. It gives even worse odds to the junk-checkers than my betting out on the flop, and would encorage them even more to fold.