Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Play vs. 50% wild raiser/calling station

I believe I played this right but am open to criticism/comments. Thanks guys.

I believed the player Rivertown would bet/call with nearly anything. He believed ace/3 os was worth 6xBB preflop and almost always called down to the river. The other player was a flat out calling station and never moved an inch. He would often fold somewhere along the hand or muck.

----

PokerStars Game #688830296: Hold'em No Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2004/09/13 - 16:23:02 (ET)
Table 'Anser' Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: Kingcrap ($32.45 in chips)
Seat 3: Lo$er ($24.45 in chips)
Seat 4: SVMailman ($27.60 in chips)
Seat 5: B Stabone ($38.75 in chips)
Seat 6: Loki V. ($53.80 in chips)
Seat 7: saebonnono ($9.90 in chips)
Seat 8: Rivertown ($11.20 in chips)
Seat 9: AlphaDogPlus ($10.45 in chips)
B Stabone: posts small blind $0.25
Loki V.: posts big blind $0.50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Loki V. [Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
saebonnono: folds
Rivertown: calls $0.50
AlphaDogPlus: raises $0.50 to $1
Kingcrap: folds
Lo$er: calls $1
SVMailman: folds
B Stabone: calls $0.75
Loki V.: raises $2 to $3
Rivertown: calls $2.50
AlphaDogPlus: calls $2
Lo$er: calls $2
B Stabone: folds
*** FLOP *** [5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Loki V.: bets $5
Rivertown: calls $5
AlphaDogPlus: calls $5
Lo$er: folds
*** TURN *** [5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Loki V.: bets $10.50
Rivertown: calls $3.20 and is all-in
AlphaDogPlus: calls $2.45 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
*** SHOW DOWN ***

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $36.85 Main pot $33.65. Side pot $1.45. | Rake $1.75
Board [5s 7d Td 8s 9d]

RESULTS (in white):
<font color="white"> Seat 6: Loki V. (big blind) showed [Qs Qd] and lost with a pair of Queens
Seat 8: Rivertown showed [Ah 6d] and won ($35.10) with a straight, Six to Ten
Seat 9: AlphaDogPlus mucked [4s 4h] - a pair of Fours
</font>
Old 09-13-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Play vs. 50% wild raiser/calling station

raise more preflop.

Raise the flop.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:06 PM

when playing against psychos, the best bet is to tighten up and hammer them when you know you're ahead. bump preflop to 5-6 bucks and put them all-in on the flop. the turn should have scared you big time, but they were so short stacked that there was no way the money wasn't going in.

fim
Old 09-13-2004, 08:00 PM

I felt I should have put them all in on the flop, I know Rivertown would've called.

I don't see why that turn should scare me.. I'm not expecting even them to hold 6/9 or 9/j at this point.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:14 PM

you're missing two important points here:

1. unless you raise more, you can't put them all in on the flop without massively overbetting the pot, which results in the dreaded "only get called when you're behind"

2. on the turn, your QQ is losing not only to J/9 etc. but any two pair or a set, which is much more likely than a made straight. the following hands have you in bad shape at that point: 55, 77, TT, 88, 78, 57, T7, T8, J9, 69, AA, KK. you're playing against two loose players, so you mean to tell me that you're positive that neither of them had any of the above hands at the time? If that is the case, you should be playing 10K buyin NL rather than wasting your skill here in small stakes.

This post smells like a bad beat rant, if so, that's fine, but please learn the following from it: hands like AA/KK/QQ/JJ are very powerful EARLY ON (preflop, flop) so get your money in by betting big on those rounds so that your opponents pay dearly for their draws.

fim
Old 09-14-2004, 09:54 AM

I, too would like to see a bigger PF raise. You had one min-raise and two calls ahead of you, so the pot was $4 when it got back to you. I'd make it at least $5 to go here. That should be enough, even in most .25/.50 games, to drive out low Axo and small pairs.

If you made it to the flop after that, you've got to put these guys to the test for all their chips right then. There are too many draw possibilities out there with that flop, and you have to get them to make a mistake by calling. You underbet the pot, so it wasn't that unreasonable for flush/straight draws to hang around. You bet the pot there, and it may be a case of only hands that beat you call, but you also eliminate the worst of the suckouts. You underbet, and that 6 hung around. When the turn gave him outs, it was easy to call $3 into a $27 pot for 9-1 on a 3-1 shot.