Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 03:40 PM

Default How to adjust to ultra loose/agressive table?

I played today in a 5/10 game which was unbelievable loose and very aggressive preflop.

Some examples:

- I three-bet preflop with AKs and am called by SB with 89o (2 further callers before him, 5-way pot)
- Someone bets on turn with a pair of sixes on Kxxx board with no flush draws and gets called by someone holding
JT (who takes the pot by hitting a J)
- I get the nutflush on river and someone with a straight bets into me, i raise, get a caller, the guy with the straight 3-bets, i cap and both call

There was very much agression preflop, i cant remember an unraised pot and mulitway caps were just normal.

I normally play NL and dont know much about Limit, but
I should beat this table without much Limit-experience, shouldnt I?
Whats the best strategy to go, should I play only premium hands because there is so much PFR? How can i get the maximum out of a table like this? And how much BB/hr would you expect to win with just playing solid poker?
I normally play relatively tight and a bit passive, i am quick with mucking semi-good hands when facing 2- or 3-bets (which actually cost me several pots there because i was just ahead).
Old 09-13-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Re: How to adjust to ultra loose/agressive table?

I don't mind 1 or 2 maniacs at my table, but any more than that and it tends to negatively affect my play.

Here's the easy solution: table change.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:54 PM

Tighten up pref-flop but be more willing to 3-bet and cap with some of your stronger holdings. I tend to only continue on the flop with strong draws (to the nuts or something close to it) to avoid huge down-swings although that might be impossible in these kind of games. If you have limited experience and/or bankroll you probably want to avoid these games.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:28 PM

Play only premium hands. I've sat in games like this and found that playing only pocket pairs above TT and AK to be very profitable. If the whole game is wild as opposed to just one maniac at the table this won't work as well but if you can try to sit to the left of the maniac. If there are two there and they are right next to each other try to sit to the left of both of them. This is not only to make things easier by knowing the raise is right before you and you aren't caught in the middle but the most advantageous thing is that you can reraise the maniac to isolate him.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:45 PM

i try to find a table with as little action preflop as possible. i like to be the only one raising preflop or as close to it as possible. i hate folding AJo becuase its 2 bets to me every hand preflop. i make most my money after the flop and if im tightening up that hurts my style of play personally. i want to be able to play any pair and Axs from any position. so i find tables that fit the bill. maniacs are great if there is just 1 of them. 2 or more throws me off.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:15 PM

This table was just full of maniacs ...
I have to add another silly example board was ak2 with two
spades, theres a bet, someone with ato raises (ok wants to make the flush draws harder) and someone with 33 three-bets (??).
Isnt it a bit too passive waiting with such weired players only for premium hands (and boring too), and cant i make much profit with drawing hands also (only in late position when its only 2-bet for example)? The implied odds on this table are really huge, you get paid off everything and often not only onebet.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:35 PM

Played a similair $8/16 this past weekend at Canterbury. Live stradle and third-bet blind preflop.
All three maniacs wee sitting in chairs six - eight.

I played only AA, KK, QQ and AK. Won two hands over two hours. This put me up for this table, but the
blinds were chipping away at my stack. I moved down to the $6/12, where my style and comfort (tight and rather aggressive) was more approriate.

Great question, though! If I was an advance player I could have stayed for a few more hours and made a bigger profit.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:41 PM

HEPFAP has a section on wild games. Would be worth a read.