Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Re: A9s UTG+2 - Any problems with my play?

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't raise it from that position though, loose or tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can raise this from MP, right? That's 1 seat to my left. I decided to raise it from UTG+2 because I felt like I could outplay the table - I think this was at the worst a break even EV play.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:29 PM

i dont raise Axs because i want as many people to call as possible. if its folded to me in late position ill raise.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:36 PM

I'd limp preflop, but since you raised preflop, why not bet the flop? You can represent an overpair or AQ. That way when you bet again on the turn when the second Q comes, you'll get more respect. It's more difficult for someone to call with a small PP or A-high if you fire two bullets. If you suddenly bet the turn after checking the flop, people assume you're bluffing and will call down.

This line also has the bonus that if others notice that you play this way, you may get you more action on future hands where you want to get called.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can raise this from MP, right? That's 1 seat to my left. I decided to raise it from UTG+2 because I felt like I could outplay the table - I think this was at the worst a break even EV play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Under some conditions, maybe you could raise from MP. If at least two of the UTG players limped in, I may consider a value raise. Otherwise, I don't think so. Still too many players to act behind who can have you dominated plus you don't want to be knocking them out of the pot.

Look at it this way. With A9s, you have two ways to win:

1. You hit the nut flush. Congrats! Now, did you really want to raise in EP or MP and knock out people who would pay off your monster?

2. You hit an A. Congratulations, you'll win if no one outkicks you. The only people that are going to dump their AT and AJ are total tightwards like me. No one is going to be dumping their AQ or AKs. In addition, you've got to worry about KQ, KJ, QJ because your kicker isn't likely to win you any pots when paired up.

So, all you've done by raising is knock out people who will pay off if you hit a monster and left everyone else who can beat you. And when you are beaten on this sort of hand, its not usually a "fold on the flop" kind of beat, its a "crap, I was second best on the river" kind of beat.

In LP, everything changes. In LP, you are either raising or you are folding because there is a lot more clarity about things.