Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Pretend this is 2/4 and evaluate the flop

This game did not play like its size might indicate on this hand, which is why I'm posting it here. I think the preflop raise sucks, and it was a multitabling misclick, so don't worry about it.

The coldcall/reraise means a hand like 66 or QTo with pretty high frequency from this guy. I either had original 3-bettor to 6 outs, reverse dominated, or was drawing to 5. I was hoping that he'd raise the flop.

Does anybody think about waiting until the turn and/or checkraising the flop?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Scrub is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Scrub raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Scrub calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Scrub calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (28.66 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Scrub bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (17.83 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Scrub bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (22.83 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Scrub checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 22.83 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 22.83 BB, between BB, UTG+1, Scrub, MP2 and CO.</font>

scrub
Old 09-13-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Pretend this is 2/4 and evaluate the flop

Why did MP3 cold-call you and then cap when he had the opportunity to see the flop for only three bets? Is he type of player who caps for fun?

You got about the best flop you could hope for. If you check, you'll probably get an opportunity to raise. MP3 might feel obligated to bet because he put the last bet in preflop. If MP3 checks, the CO is probably going to bet. I like betting the flop like you did though. Betting with the intention of reraising gets more money in the pot than checking with the intention of raising. With LAGs behind you, go for the reraise.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:07 PM

There are worse things to misclick the "raise" button with than K-Jo.

Anyway, the hand looks fine to me, but why are you checking the river?

Bet the river.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why are you checking the river?

Bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has four opponents on the river and it was capped preflop. You're betting middle pair 2nd kicker for value? That's insane.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 09-13-2004, 05:41 PM

Eh.

Everything is situational, and I think 'lil has a point. I thought about betting.

Remember, this wasn't a "real" cap. This was a coldcall/cap from an idiot.

scrub
Old 09-13-2004, 06:25 PM

He has four opponents on the river and it was capped preflop. You're betting middle pair 2nd kicker for value? That's insane.
The pre-flop cap is irrelevant, as the capper has folded already.

What evidence do you have that our hero does not have the best hand?
The times you bet here and are called in multiple places with losing hands more than make up for the times you lose one BB by being called with a better hand.

If you are raised, you have an easy fold.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:32 PM

Why did MP3 cold-call you and then cap when he had the opportunity to see the flop for only three bets?

sounds like suited broadway cards to me.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:02 PM

My informal study of the "coldcall/cap" or "WTFcap" phenomenon leads me to believe it is usually 66-88 or crappy offsuit broadway.

scrub