Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 04-20-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Seeing other player\'s hole cards

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was in a similar situation last year at a big buy-in tournament. The guy to my left did not protect his cards very well and I saw them after I entered the pot. It actually made me mad because I liked my hand and now I was going to have to get rid of it after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just so wrong. You're saying if you nailed this flop, you're going to fold because this player was careless about protecting his cards. Cannot disagree with this more!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I don't fold it, then I at least turn to him and tell him I saw his cards before I act and he acts. If he decides to fold, then I ask the dealer to turn them face up so that the others in the pot have the same information as me.

The bottom line to me is that this is one pot in thousands that I will play in my lifetime. My integrity and respect for my own name is more important than this one pot. I am sure that the vast majority of players would do it differently, but I don't look at them in the mirror every morning. To each his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice seeing a player that won't take any angle he can find.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are writing nonsense! As some other posters have written, protecting your cards is a basic skill in poker. If you see another players cards, it's perfectly okay to use that information. ESPECIALLY if the other player is a professional.

If I see a player's cards, I do generally tell them I see them the first time it happens. If the player is obviously a new player, I'll tell them more than once. But not an experienced player.

As for asking the dealer to show his cards if he folds them: is that even within the rules? If it is within the rules, nothing would stop someone from saying they saw someone else's cards and ask for them to be shown, whether they had seen them or not. Or else you'd have to go around to the dealer and tell them what you saw and have them confirm it before they show the cards. That seems impractical because it would delay the game.

-- Don