Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Seeing other player's hole cards (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=231952)

rbenuck4 04-13-2005 08:40 PM

Seeing other player\'s hole cards

Normally, I make it a habit that if some guy is showing me his hole cards, I warn him once, and if he continues, well that's his own fault. I think that is totally fair. However, a situation came up recently that actually tested me.

I was UTG with 33 at a 5 10 nl game on a riverboat in indiana, and limped in, and after several other limpers, the BB raised it to 75. When he did this, unintentionally I saw his cards, and it was the first time of the night he had shown me his cards. He had AQo.

Obviously if I hadn't seen his cards, I would've folded for another 65 dollars, but now I was a slight favorite and I would know exactly where I was in the hand after the flop and had position on him. What should I have done?

Well, I failed my test, because I called, and everyone else folded. Don't worry though. The karma gods punished me because the flop came Q64, and he took down the pot after making a small flop bet.

I would like to mention that I did not warn him after the hand, fearing that it would've given away the fact that I had taken advantage of him on that hand.

Am I a bad guy? I like to think of myself as honest, but maybe I'm not as honest as I thought I was, because this was the first time that someone had shown me their cards and it had effected my decision.

Demana 04-13-2005 08:42 PM

Re: Seeing other player\'s hole cards

Take a long relaxing walk and you'll deal with the issue however you need to. Nothing any of us says will help you because you have already made your decision inside and know what you need to do to get over it.

Balla2hot4u 04-14-2005 05:03 PM

the way i see it.. the main point of playing poker is to win.. correct? thats what is tought over and over again, would u bust your grandmother if she sat down next to you? of course you would. you're not here to make friends or be nice. you're here to make money and win. you did nothing wrong just got an edge! its his fault for not being carefull enough to cover his cards! you can deal with it whatever way u see fit! I see it the same kind of edge as being a defensive back in football and knowing the formation the offense is in and possibly overhearing the play call and what play they will run from it.. and intercepting the ball, running it back for a touchdown! Its an edge and everyone tries to get an edge in every sport. It is why cards are covered when viewing them, why play calls have different names then what they are.. and why some tells in poker are made up by good playes to make u think something else! Its the way it works. But if inside u feel it wasn't right, then next time do it differently!

purnell 04-14-2005 07:10 PM

You were in a tough spot, and usually, the best thing to do when you are in a tough spot is to keep ypur mouth shut. Self-preservation. You are not a bad guy (at least not for this reason [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]).

purnell 04-14-2005 07:25 PM

I have a way out of this.

I have a way out of this. Wait a few orbits, And when a hand where you can legitimately fold to his preflop raise comes up, do so. After that hand, tell him that you caught a glimpse of his hand by accident.

Defense. You did not provoke, randomness provoked you.

elmo 04-14-2005 07:41 PM

Re: I have a way out of this.

Good suggestion by Purell... I think it is absurd to pretend you don't have this information. At the same time, intentionally looking for his hands in the future is imoral. IMO, you did nothing wrong.

Wally Weeks 04-14-2005 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the way i see it.. the main point of playing poker is to win.. correct? thats what is tought over and over again, would u bust your grandmother if she sat down next to you? of course you would. you're not here to make friends or be nice. you're here to make money and win. you did nothing wrong just got an edge! its his fault for not being carefull enough to cover his cards! you can deal with it whatever way u see fit! I see it the same kind of edge as being a defensive back in football and knowing the formation the offense is in and possibly overhearing the play call and what play they will run from it.. and intercepting the ball, running it back for a touchdown! Its an edge and everyone tries to get an edge in every sport. It is why cards are covered when viewing them, why play calls have different names then what they are.. and why some tells in poker are made up by good playes to make u think something else! Its the way it works. But if inside u feel it wasn't right, then next time do it differently!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this for the most part...minus the whole busting my grandmother since that's not necessary nor would ever happen. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I view poker as a kind of war, the more information you have the better off you are. If players are not protecting their cards, they'll have to learn the hard way. Of course there's always exceptions, but I hate to lose more than not being a nice guy...which I am for the most part. Now keep in mind I think cheating is unacceptable, I like to win fair and square.

What does the original poster think of taking advantage of other information such as easily recognizable tells and visual ques (i.e., a player looking eager to fold before his/her turn to act)? I have no doubt you think this is acceptable.

Protecting one's cards is one the most simple and basic things in poker acumen. Just watch some poker on TV and you'll see how people easily protect their cards. Also, plenty of people play poker for entertainment and simply aren't careful; this is especially true after a few drinks.

Also, on the other side of the fence, I don't think it's wrong for a player to do the same thing to me if I accidently show my cards. I should have been more careful in the first place. If I'm going to be mad at anyone, it'd have to be myself.

Regards,
Wally

EightStuda 04-14-2005 10:43 PM

Yes, you are a bad person, and you know it.

-Dimitri

YouGotBluffed 04-14-2005 11:32 PM

Nah I wouldn't say you're going to hell for it. Not the most honest decision of course, but it is his own fault for not concealing his cards better.

Don't stress over it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

gamblore99 04-15-2005 12:50 AM

you already entered the pot, and he made the mistake of showing you his hole cards. Like the other poster said, tell him later on.

I used to always tell people there whole cards, now I am not so sure I consider it wrong. If a player is making that mistake, I don't necessarily think it is my responsibility to correct him.