Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-24-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Awkward AKo UB 10/25 NL

I agree that full ring, AK off is a fold to a reraise. But in position with AK suited and deep stacks, I think you definitely want to call. Obviously the particular players' reraising frequency is extremely important.

On that flop, I would just make a big strong bet. If he still wants to play, get out!

If I am him I am not slowplaying that flop either, for the reason stated above- if you make a bet and he gives you action you are probably done with only AK. So, betting here is pretty safe.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:48 AM

So he check-raised and you had to fold? I hope he didnt show AK [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 08-24-2005, 11:21 AM

Hi cap'n and AZK,

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop yo, reason it's awkward is b/c you are only beating a bluff preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't thinking "im only beating a bluff preflop". Afterwards, I was thinking, this is a stupid call, cause we are either tied or he has me crushed, and if he has QQ, I don't get any money in postflop if an A or K hits, so it's just stupid to call.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

exactly, that's what makes ak a fold pf to a rr. When I said only beats a bluff, I'm implying he's not reraising AQ for value with plans to go bust on an A hi flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You guys ever think of moving in pre-flop, based on this thinking?
Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi cap'n and AZK,

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop yo, reason it's awkward is b/c you are only beating a bluff preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

I wasn't thinking "im only beating a bluff preflop". Afterwards, I was thinking, this is a stupid call, cause we are either tied or he has me crushed, and if he has QQ, I don't get any money in postflop if an A or K hits, so it's just stupid to call.

exactly, that's what makes ak a fold pf to a rr. When I said only beats a bluff, I'm implying he's not reraising AQ for value with plans to go bust on an A hi flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see all the angles, but I never have the stones to play one of them.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi cap'n and AZK,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see all the angles, but I never have the stones to play one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

i laughed.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His likely hand range is AA-QQ and AK since we aren't deep enough for 3bets preflop...so why would I want to move in?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His likely hand range is AA-QQ and AK since we aren't deep enough for 3bets preflop...so why would I want to move in?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really think that his range is that small what are you doing calling? Either you hit and win nothing more, you hit and bust yourself or you miss and fold. Where's the upside?
Old 08-24-2005, 03:23 PM

If your range is really that small, than I bet 1/3 pot and dump it if I get played with. I know it's way ahead or way behind, but you're not checking here with a set are you? I don't like checking then folding to a bet on the turn; obviously this is all solved by folding to the preflop RR, but if you're going to call it, you need to make a move at the pot ASAP so there aren't any more guessing games.

As a side note, is a small PP really out of the question here for villain?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:45 AM

Hi AZK,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? How do you know this? I thought you said you respected his play. How can his range be this narrow? If he respects your play, he knows you could be opening with many hands, and that you are capable of laying down very good ones. The Party games are this weak pre-flop, but I always assumed that the bigger games at UB would be tougher. Does anyone else want to chime in on possible hand ranges for the first and 2nd raisers in a shorthanded situation in this game?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi AZK,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? How do you know this? I thought you said you respected his play. How can his range be this narrow? If he respects your play, he knows you could be opening with many hands, and that you are capable of laying down very good ones. The Party games are this weak pre-flop, but I always assumed that the bigger games at UB would be tougher. Does anyone else want to chime in on possible hand ranges for the first and 2nd raisers in a shorthanded situation in this game?

[/ QUOTE ]

The open raiser's range is two cards. The blind re-raiser usually has TT+, a decent ace, or sometimes two face cards. If he is good, he can have a much wider range than that against a folded-to-LP-open-raise.

Edited to add, I just noticed that there was a caller in the middle. This widens the blind re-raiser's hand quite a bit, given the extra dough there to be stolen.