Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-08-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Hey Yankees fans...

Yeah, I agree, they have a lot of good talent. I really like that kid who played first base this year, his name escapes me. Had like 50 doubles, shipped in the Sexson trade. Overbay..he's got a stroke. I've always liked them because of the Beer Slide.

On a side note, Prince's dad is a complete mess, huh?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:16 PM

Hampton has been pretty effective while in ATL

yeah, but nowehere near enough to justify having to pay his full salary. I think his point is the braves are doing just fine given the portion of Hampton's salary they actually pay. Hampton was a horrible pitcher when he left Colroado, he had no confidence. For a guy who doesn't have overpowering stuff that relies on locating pitches and letting the other team hit the ball, a lack of confidence is devasating. His success is a testament to mazzone and the Braves organization.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His success is a testament to mazzone and the Braves organization.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it def is, I also think his style of pitching is one which couldn't succeed in Colorado anyways.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:25 PM

I guess I'm in the minority but both signings seem ok to me. Womack can provide depth or a leadoff hitter. Wright will help fill out the rotation after the Johnson trade. I also liked the earlier trade for the two relief pitchers.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:09 PM

Wright had the 5th best OPS against (.646) in the NL last year. Still, he walked 70 in just over 180 innings, and averaged less than 6 innings/start. I would think he's less of a gamble, at age 28, than Leiber was last year. Perhaps Torre remembers how well he pitched against the Yankees in the post-season in '97. Stotlemyre is gone, so perhaps the emphasis on not walking people will be less pronounced and Wright will not feel he has to change his pitching style.

Womack is, I guess, an insurance policy for Cairo. I think he's a half a rung down the ladder from Cairo. He doesn't walk and while he steals more, Cairo was an effective base runner, stealing 11 out of 14. Neither one are championship caliber players, but again, maybe Torre remembers Womack beating Rivera in 2001. Maybe they'll use him like the Sox used Roberts last year.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:13 PM

If Womack starts and bats lead-off, it's a mistake. He's a subpar player. They'll, I assume, bat Jeter second, and make him hit and run which is another mistake given that the man hit .011 for the first month of the season and then hit .330 with 23 home runs the rest of the way. Jeter doesn't take very many pitches, which is a drawback for a #2 hitter.

But their offense should be OK. It's the pitching that's the question mark.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely annoyed with this. It it so hard being a "good" yankee fan. I hate this team, but I'm forced to root for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can only rob Peter to pay Paul for so long before it catches up with you. Fact is, the cupboard is bare down on the farm for the Yankees.

The Yankees late 90's dynasty was from home grown talent for a team that was built when Georgie Porgie was in exile from the team by MLB. Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Petitte, Williams, and whoever else I'm missing here were the bedrock of the teams that won all those pennants and World Series.

Fact is, they haven't won a championship since their payroll went over 100 million.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:52 PM

Andy,

Wright did have some good stats last year. No denying that. But given his reputation as being stubborn about his pitches, and his history of past arm troubles, I would say he's still a bit of a gamble. What doesn't make sense for the Yanks IMO, is that there weren't any reported offers anywhere in the ballpark compared to the $22 mil/3 yrs he signed for. The M's offered $15 mil/3 yrs, but I didn't read about any other offers.

And as for Womack, he could sign and start for a few different MLB teams - he's not signing with NY to ride the bench.

Finally, both of those guys played for teams last season that generally have very savvy GM's and managers. Yet neither team seemed to make any effort to keep either of those guys. What does Leo Mazzone know that the Yanks don't? I bet it's something.

Should be interesting next season. Mostly, I just love talking about baseball in December.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:01 PM

you know whats sad, these are the most interesting signings to date. Oh well, atleast the M's won't be wasting money on either of those two, but I am sure they'll find another aging vet [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 05:53 PM

Yes, and they used other homegrown talent to entice others into giving them good players in exchange: Sterling Hitchcock and Russ Davis for Tino Martinez and Jeff Nelson; Brian Buchanan, Cristian Guzman, Eric Milton and Danny Mota for Chuck Knowlauch; Marty Janzen, David Sinnes, and Tony Medrano for David Cone.