Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 10-03-2005, 09:11 AM

Default 58o and hit straight but...

First hand at the table...

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, Hero ???

My question:

Is there anyway that we fold this? It seems to me that I got C/R by the flush, but it's my first hand at the table so...

It's gonna cost me 2 bets more than likely to get a showdown for a 9BB effective pot yes?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Re: 58o and hit straight but...

I'm calling down, and probably crying.

[ QUOTE ]
but it's my first hand at the table so...

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice is, unless you can get in at the CO, then wait for the big blind to hit your seat to post. Use the 4-5 hands downtime to observe your opponents.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:24 AM

You're effectively getting 12:2 on a calldown.

BB could have been slowplaying 54 from the beginning, if you're looking for a reason to make that calldown. There's also some chance he has the same hand you do (though he'll often have a club even then and a chance to take the whole pot).

You're probably drawing dead against a flush, though.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:28 AM

WTF? The sb bets the flop checks the turn why wouldn't the bb bet the turn if he had the flush? The action on this turn is just goofy enough that I would probably pay it off. FWIW if the bb did check his flush on the turn you are sitting at the table with one sweet fishy. He could also have a better straight but like i said when i see a play this strange i lean towards calling it down. I think your good here more often than you think and if nothing else i want to know what hand he has that he plays this way.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:29 AM

I think that its worth calling BB's raise down.

Its just possible that he may have been 3-betting the turn with something like 2 pair or a set, as opposed to the flush.

Its even possible that BB may have decided to bluff when he saw the turn flush card.

In addition, I think that I would have raised the flop with your OESD. Even though the flop had a 2 flush, with 6 clean outs and 4 opponents, I believe that your raise would have been for value.

A flop raise may also have bought you a free card to complete your straight if you missed on the turn.

By the way, well done for easily beating me in the MLL. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My advice is, unless you can get in at the CO, then wait for the big blind to hit your seat to post. Use the 4-5 hands downtime to observe your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you're saying, but I don't like doing this...I always put a note on a player that waits almost an entire revolution for the blinds. But it would certainly would help

And I did have PT running before I sat down, I just don't give much credence to 30-40 hands. It's just nice to get a Table VPIP so I know where to sit [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 09:31 AM

Grunch

Posting in MP2/3 (9 handed table means you are closer to the blinds) isn't something I normally do. Wait for the blinds and observe the action.

Flop: Easy raise. See: pot equity. Plus, a raise here means mabye only two big bets going in on the turn when you fall behind to a flush.
Turn: I raise here as well, but the BB check-raise is a little scary. It's heads-up now, so if you go into calldown mode, you'll be getting from 5-1 to 6-1 on your money. You'll need to have your hand hold up at least 16% of the time here, and probably more since there are at least 8 outs that you almost can't call on the end (the remaining clubs).

I showdown here and make some notes on both BB and MP1. Check-3-betting and bet/folding are both interesting enough plays for me to take note of, and even if this is slightly -EV from a mathematical standpoint, the reads may make up for it.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:32 AM

And if you really just want to observe you don't need to be seated. :/
Old 10-03-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always put a note on a player that waits almost an entire revolution for the blinds

[/ QUOTE ]

A note with this information is not very useful. PT and PA will pop their stats up eventually, and tight players don't get that way on accident.

I note when someone does something horrible - like posting UTG, or interesting - like check-3-betting in this hand.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:37 AM

Flop raise would be good, for value and free card, as everyone else is saying. I'm sorry, I have to get better at focusing on every street.

[ QUOTE ]
I always put a note on a player that waits almost an entire revolution for the blinds. But it would certainly would help

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to harp this point, because I don't think it's a big deal. It's not like you posted UTG or something. But while you're taking notes, most of your opponents at .5/1 aren't. Many didn't even notice that you are a different player than the guy in your seat 2 minutes earlier. The ones that are observing will quickly become apparent through their play, and you'll know to watch out for them anyway. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.