Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 09-14-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Media Bias... Here we go again

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't respond because I don't respond to claims of media bias (why isn't anyone printing this) that then link to ABC.COM to get the story that apparently isn't being printed.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD
Old 09-14-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This news is a bit tabloid-ish and would not really be worthy for the front page of a serious international newspaper or a full segment in a serious news show such as the News Hour with Jim Lehrer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda like the article about the President flying over New Orleans? (Oh wait, that was on the front page of the Post and NYT)

Or VP Cheney buying a house in St.Michaels? (Sorry, that was too!)
Old 09-14-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how people in this forum will make 198 responses to some "theory" question... but no one actually wants to talk about what's really going wrong with our leaders...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, your question was about media bias, not about what's really going wrong with our leaders. If you wanted a long discussion about the individual's behavior in this case, you probably won't get it, since I doubt too many folks would excuse it.

[ QUOTE ]
Unless of course it's good-old dumb Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've seen any outlet (even among liberal blog sites) that criticizes Bush 100% to the exclusion of all others. Generally the people defending Bush think that the misbehaviors by everyone else should make the Bush misbehaviors a non-story. Whereas the people accusing Bush are perfectly willing to admit blame also lies elsewhere. However, the Bush mistakes are (rightly so) a bigger story than the other mistakes because (1) it is an issue of national defense and thus affects not just Louisianans but rather all US citizens, and (2) Bush and his apologists were the ones in complete deflect-and-deny mode for two weeks, before finally admitting some responsibility yesterday.

[ QUOTE ]
We've all been brain-washed by the Media.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not me. My thoughts are my own, not the media's. To the more level-headed among us, media is an information source, not a brainwashing tool.

The media bias discussion is a bit pointless, since both sides will be able to come up with their own set of about a million examples of unfavorable bias. There are reporters, columnists, even whole networks on both sides of the fence, as well as plenty of neutral journalists. Discerning viewers will draw their information from all sources, not just the ones they agree with, to form their opinions.

Just to tie this in to my previous point, witness the Time and Newsweek articles that came out this week. They are very hard on Bush, but they are also very hard on the other deserving parties. I suspect most neutral observers will view the articles as quite informative and fair, while most Bush defenders will insist that the non-Bush portions are perfect, but the Bush portions are vile filth and slime.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for ruining my best angle![img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet you drive golf balls on paved roads for distance too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only when BB is around to accept my wagers.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:47 PM

This thread isn’t about Bush, it’s about how the media is burying or down playing a story about a liberal democrat while pumping up stories about conservatives.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread isn’t about Bush, it’s about how the media is burying or down playing a story about a liberal democrat while pumping up stories about conservatives.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's so obvious I almost feel guilty arguing the point. I don't understand why liberals are so blind and unsupportive of the media bias.

I would be stoked and openly praise a conservatively bias news source.

I'll be the first to admit that Foxnews gears its editorials and open forums around a more right wing moderator... so what.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we were having a good discussion here... don't want to get off on a betting tangent..

Please move to private messages...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, I wanna see how this turns out...it's more interesting than the original argument anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. Did you even read my post? My main point was about the media. The only reason Bush was a topic was because he had been brought up, out of context, by the previous poster.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This news is a bit tabloid-ish and would not really be worthy for the front page of a serious international newspaper or a full segment in a serious news show such as the News Hour with Jim Lehrer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda like the article about the President flying over New Orleans? (Oh wait, that was on the front page of the Post and NYT)

Or VP Cheney buying a house in St.Michaels? (Sorry, that was too!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because, as you see, this Jefferson dude is a national figure like Bush and Cheney.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Karl rove disagrees with you conservatives

He admitted that the media isn't biased against conservatives-- its just biased in an oppositional way in general.