Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 01-24-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: River Bluff on 20/40 Player

He will raise the river now because a 2nd King hit. Now the situation in his mind is raise and fold to a 3-bet...I am pretty sure that was his thinking.

He checks the turn b/c he has AQ... and only a K coud hurt him and it hit.. Now he can check through the turn b/c no overcard hurts him.

He made a mistake by not betting the turn though.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:31 PM

Hi amerksmann22,

[ QUOTE ]
My image is a Tight-Aggressive and they are a few
regulars at the table that know me as a Solid Player

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand are you trying to represent based on your preflop overlimp with a loose caller, and check/calling the flop, a slowplayed set? Just seems too odd for me to fold this river in the CO's shoes.

Hope it worked out,
Jay
Old 01-24-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Results

He thought for about 15-20 seconds and said "Your King is Good." and tossed his hand into the muck. I knew he could talk himself into being beat. He is just one of the players.

I flipped my hand face up as the dealer pushed me the pot. It is good for the game to show a bluff, right...
Old 01-24-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
I flipped my hand face up as the dealer pushed me the pot. It is good for the game to show a bluff, right...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack
Old 01-24-2005, 03:42 PM

Probably better not to show that one, I'd say, especially if there are weak players at the table... I'm not one to go to extreme lengths to create what I perceive as the psychological conditions I want, but if there are people there playing their crappy ABCesque games, I don't want to give them anything to think about. And why show the folder you're capable of making that play?

Now, if the ego trip was worth the slight loss in EV, that's another matter. But I'd like to think I wouldn't show that one.

--Nate
Old 01-24-2005, 03:49 PM

Huh, that's kind of a good point. K6s and K5s, maybe, though those are loose preflop calls, which don't quite fit with his table image. I still like the play, though, because it says unequivocally, "I have a king," which is enough against some players.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:49 PM

I agree but my friend was at the table and I just couldnt resist.

He would have never believed me. Also, I dont think I lose that much in EV. Most thinking opponents there have played with me and I am rarely out of line.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:50 PM

Heh, I gotcha. (But what about the non-thinking opponents?)
Old 01-24-2005, 04:23 PM

hi amerk

if you think he will lay it down, the 3-bet bluff is fine. the only mistake that you can make is not flipping it over at the end of the hand, no matter what. one of the reason this play is o.k. is for the increased action later on. you never make these type bluffs heads-up, and then muck face down except in situations in which your opponents are folding so often that bluffing is more profitable than getting the bets in there, and that's usually not the case, although even when it isn't, this type bluff should work often enough in this situation, if you have given a correct assessment of it. and i think you have here. i think he folds. just remember though that you have given away more information in your post than you will likely be able to retrieve from your opponent. i have more to work on here than you had at the time the hand was being played, so i think he folds more surely than you thought he would fold at the time that you made this bluff. when you read the threads, of which i am sure the great majority endorse your river action, remember that the other posters also have more info than you did because of the added synoptic overtones enveloped in successful resolution. you had no such additional information, so take the compliments with a grain of salt. you put a lot of capital up into the ethers of whimsy wishing for gain, and took dire risk doing so, each and every time you envelop your synoptical overtones in failure, and so shall say the crowd. that you didn't this time is very fortunate indeed.

you were very lucky young man.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:25 PM

they are non-thinking...two hours from now there are still non-thinking.

They wont remember that hand or they werent even paying attention when it happened.