Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   River Bluff on 20/40 Player (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=182672)

amerksmann22 01-23-2005 11:42 PM

River Bluff on 20/40 Player

Foxwoods 10/20...against know solid 20/40 player

Loose player limpe EP, I call (CO+1) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 20/40 Player Raises in Cutoff, Button Call, BB, Limper & I call.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 players, pot: $105)

BB, EP, I all check, CO Bets, Button Calls, BB & Limper fold, I call.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players, pot: $135)

Check through...I have the CO on AQ.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players, pot: $135)

I bet, CO Raises, Button Folds...CO has AQ, i think, I 3-bet

Is this crazy...I felt my read was dead on and I knew he was capable of folding to a 3-bet.

In fact, I think he raised and thought to himself: "I can easily fold to a 3-bet here"

Comments on all streets welcome...i think the call on the flop is close, a gut shot and back-door flush draw but I was getting 13.5-1 + implied odds if I hit.

34TheTruth34 01-24-2005 12:54 AM

Re: River Bluff on 20/40 Player

who's the player? who are you? in general I don't like it, but since it sounds like you have a pretty good read, it might work often enough. I haven't played in the 20/40 for long, but there are some "super laydown" players that I would make this play against. Against everyone else I've encountered, I think it's pretty bad 'cause they're calling.

amerksmann22 01-24-2005 01:16 AM

Player in questions is a younger player...22-26 yr old. I am pretty sure he is a "super laydown" type of opponent. I only know of 6-7 regular 20/40 players...this player is not Mark, Manny, JoeTall, or Sublime.

I wouldnt make this play against any other player. I am not reckless, lol.

My image is a Tight-Aggressive and they are a few regulars at the table that know me as a Solid Player and this oppenent of course picked up on that through table talk and what not. I hadnt been out of line the whole time 20/40 player was at the table.

TStoneMBD 01-24-2005 10:52 AM

i like it. if it worked, gj.

SA125 01-24-2005 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the call on the flop is close, a gut shot and back-door flush draw but I was getting 13.5-1 + implied odds if I hit.

River: K (3 players, pot: $135)

I bet, CO Raises, Button Folds...CO has AQ, i think, I 3-bet

Is this crazy...I felt my read was dead on and I knew he was capable of folding to a 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the flop call is close at all. On the river there's $235 now in the pot to call $20 more and close out the action. Super Laydown type or not, I can't see him folding.

nate1729 01-24-2005 01:35 PM

I like it. This is a good spot because you can represent a specific hand; LAG that I am, I'm always looking for bluffing spots with exactly this characteristic, and they don't come up all that often in limit hold'em. If he has AQ, he can only beat a stone bluff. Even though 2BB is expensive, I think it's the percentage play here.

I gotta know -- did it work? (Was it Fabio, by any chance?)

--Nate

amerksmann22 01-24-2005 01:36 PM

If the play doesnt work...
I have a Tight-Aggressive image, I think showing that I am capable of a River 3-bet bluff would be good for my image plus I will get a few more loose calls when I have have "real" hands.

amerksmann22 01-24-2005 01:39 PM

I am not sure if it was Fabio but this player made a huge mistake by checking through on the Turn...if he bet the turn, I was folding. He gave me the information I needed to bluff him on the river.

nate1729 01-24-2005 01:47 PM

Exactly. If you play any stud, a very similar thing happens, when someone has an open pair or two or something, and you seem to have big cards (people get more suspicious of missed-draw bluffs than utter-bullshit bluffs.) Bets and checkraises on 7th are often good percentage plays, because you're obviously representing two bigger pair, and they can only beat a stone bluff.

The curiosity is killing me; now that I've improved your stud game, will you tell me if the bluff worked?

--Nate

lil' 01-24-2005 01:57 PM

Why would a player who is too timid to bet A-Q on the turn raise it on the river?

Just seems a little contradictory to me.